NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the past week I got twice this problem, so it became a concern. After Malfunction Indicator Light flashes a bit, it goes away and no code is left:mad:.

Here is my assumption how it happens. I didn't want to double check it on purpose as I need a working car these days :)

I was on HWY in traffic and had to slow down then I changed lane and somewhat strongly accelerated so no one hit me in the back and I got flashing MIL light for a while.

I have an automatic transmission and 2.0L gas engine. I feel like the car lowers gear and then has to suddenly change it back or something.

Is something slowly dying in the tranny:confused: Did anybody have anything like this? Automatic transmission works smooth if I don't have sudden slow downs and accelerations.

P.S. I just found similar badly named thread with similar problem. Is it possible to merge threads to avoid duplication? http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/45867-mysterious-event-completely-clueless.html

·
5/23/10 <3
11,137 Posts
Did you scan with VAG-COM?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't have a cable at hand, so I asked mechanics to scan it when I replaced an oil. They said no codes were found. It kind of makes sense since the light is not lit constantly.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,137 Posts
Was it with VAG-COM though? Generic scanners may not pick up all the codes. If the light is triggered, there is a code. Not all codes trigger a CEL.

·
Real life Beetle mechanic
572 Posts
This was likely a misfire on 2nd cylinder, since after several such incidents MIL stayed on. It was a time to replace spark plugs and wires.
Be careful changing them http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/21042-dangerous-change-spark-plugs-yourself.html#post696366
Useful info summary http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/47017-spark-plug-gap-calibration.html#post696395
It's not a misfire.

Smileybug asked you the right question. A 1551 or better (scan-tool) will give you the code, I already know what it is going to be.

You will need to buy a new sensor and a tube of RTV. And a heavy magnet, if you dont have one.

(Well maybe two sensors, but one for sure)

Get the actual code and come back.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just linked orphan thread in case someone will be looking for same symptoms. It happened quite a while ago as you can see from the date.
It's not a misfire.

Smileybug asked you the right question. A 1551 or better (scan-tool) will give you the code, I already know what it is going to be.

You will need to buy a new sensor and a tube of RTV. And a heavy magnet, if you dont have one.

(Well maybe two sensors, but one for sure)

Get the actual code and come back.
There were no codes after flashing was gone. I got it scanned that time at mechanic. Usually I use free VCDS Lite from ROSS-Tech and e-bay cable for $10.

What sensor? and what is RTV? Why magnet?

All I have right now (intermittent random/multiple misfire, MAF problem (I feel like I made a code typo in other thread)) is likely caused by leaking air through injector's air inlet. Before I even changed spark plugs, I was "lucky" to have MIL constantly on for a moment just for mechanic to diagnose misfire in 2nd cylinder. After I left mechanic MIL went off by itself. Though mechanic tried to convince me that clearing the code would be useless as it will come again right away.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,137 Posts
But you never scanned the car with VAG-COM did you? As I said, generic code readers may not pick up certain codes. A VAG-COM will pick up codes. If the CEL comes on, there is a code stored.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But you never scanned the car with VAG-COM did you? As I said, generic code readers may not pick up certain codes. A VAG-COM will pick up codes. If the CEL comes on, there is a code stored.
I didn't have the cable that time:) It is old 2002 beetle, there is no CAN bus, just plain old OBD-II. I usually have no problems using this cable and VCDS Lite. I remember some users here were saying that e-bay cable won't work on Air Bag controller module. But this one did work okay for me.

Anyway, yes, I did not scan with brand name hardware scanner:)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm curious now if I shouldn't have changed spark plugs & wires (and damaging fuel injector:) ) and the problem was in something else. Spark plugs & wires was my guess, and was confirmed by another mechanic. Along with the fact that those were changed more than 2 years ago, it convinced me to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts