NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Folks,

Hope you all had a great Christmas! Our beetle is a 1998 2.0L Automatic and she was not smoothly shifting yesterday so we took her to the mechanic this morning and had her hooked up to his scanner. She usually shifts around the 3 mark but was running up to 4 and if you pulsed the foot feed she would shift. The following was the readout ... PO722 (output sensor no signal), PO304 #4 (misfire), PO730 (gear ratio incorrect).

Unfortunately the mechanic is booked and cannot take her in until late next week. Wondering, if from the codes you can identify what we need for parts?

The mechanic said the PO730 code could have something to do with my studded winter tires. Is that a possibility?

As always, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supercharged98, thanks for the reply. Just checked the tire size. They are 205/55R16 91T and our summers are 205/55R16 as well.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Good Morning Folks,

Hope you all had a great Christmas! Our beetle is a 1998 2.0L Automatic and she was not smoothly shifting yesterday so we took her to the mechanic this morning and had her hooked up to his scanner. She usually shifts around the 3 mark but was running up to 4 and if you pulsed the foot feed she would shift. The following was the readout ... PO722 (output sensor no signal), PO304 #4 (misfire), PO730 (gear ratio incorrect).

Unfortunately the mechanic is booked and cannot take her in until late next week. Wondering, if from the codes you can identify what we need for parts?

The mechanic said the PO730 code could have something to do with my studded winter tires. Is that a possibility?

As always, thanks for your help!
Here is more than likely the part you need:

VW 2L Automatic Transmission - PartsPlaceInc.com

They early VW 4 speed automatics have a very high failure rate, especially the valve body which the dealer will charge about 2000-2700 to replace. At that price you might as well get a brand new transmission.

More than likely you never changed the fluid on your transmission which by now probably looks like very dirty oil.
VW didn't think it would be necessary to change the transmission oil which was a fallacy on their part.
Those transmissions need maintenance just like any other part of the car.

Find a shop that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to install it and that is familiar with VW automatic transmissions. They do need special fluid as well which is about 15 bucks a quart.
Don't have them use regular ATF or you will just make things worse.

Good Luck and I hope you get her fixed soon!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
VAG Error Code: 00297
EOBD II Error Code: P0722

Fault Location:
Output shaft speed (OSS) sensor (G38) - no signal

Possible Cause:
Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) Triggered on first occurrence.
Wiring.
Vehicle speed (VSS) sensor.
Engine control module (ECM)/Powertrain control module (PCM)/Transmission control module (TCM).

VAG Error Code: 00652

EOBD II Error Code: P0730

Fault Location:
Transmission Shift-Range Controller - Incorrect gear ratio

Possible Cause:
Wiring.
Transmission range (TR) sensor/switch.
Shift solenoids (SS).
Transmission mechanical fault.

As taken from my Free EODB II Error Codes Software

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I found this on another forum. It refers to a Jetta transmission issue which has actually the same year and transmission as your beetle:

I'm posting this because I had no luck at finding information in the forum to assist in solving the problem of our Jetta being in transmission Limp Mode. Limp mode results in the transmission operating only in 1st and 3rd gear, with upshifts at about 4000 rpm.
Our 2001 AEG with 01M automatic transmission went into limp mode and showed OBD code P0722. Bentley describes P0722 as transmission output speed sensor. The weather was bad, my wife was screaming, so I took the car to the dealer. They called and said the car ran fine on a test drive, but still showed a DTC for Vehicle Speed Sensor. I paid them $150 to replace the sensor.

A couple weeks go by and the car is back into Limp Mode. I start researching it. The 01M has three speed sensors on the transmission. These are identified in the wiring diagram as G22, G38, and G68. G38 and G68 connect through the harness to the Transmission Control Module (TCM). G22 connects to the back of the instrument cluster. My professional VW mechanic, with a shop full of manuals, TSB's, and computers, had replaced the speedo sensor. I went back to the dealer and had this conversation:
Me: There are 3 sensors. Two go to the TCM and one goes to the speedometer. The complaint was transmission in limp mode and you replaced the speedometer sensor. I don't think that's right.
Dealer: These things are all interconnected. It could be the speedo sensor causing the transmission problem.
Me: Then why is it doing it again? Doesn't VAG-COM tell you which sensor is bad?
Dealer: We can't tell you anything unless you bring it back in and let us do a diagnosis. That will be $110.
Me (unspoken): When pigs fly, you ******!

VW Technical Bulletin C01-99-02 addresses the issue of speed sensors and DTC's. It shows the location of each sensor and identifies it by the wiring diagram "G" number. It also tells which sensor causes each DTC, but it is listing VW DTC's that are not cross-referenced to OBD codes in Bentley. It also implies that the VAG tool shows the wrong sensor for DTC-00281. Bentley also has illustrations in the AT section to identify the sensors by the G number.

The problem then becomes to determine which of the sensors is associated with the P0722 code. P0722 is "output speed sensor," but nowhere are any of the sensors described with those words. My successful repair would indicate the following:

The G38 sensor, on the center top of the transmission, directly accessible under the battery tray, is apparently the input speed sensor referenced by OBD code P0717. The G22 speedometer sensor is on top of the differential housing, in a silver heat shield behind the engine. The G68 sensor is the output speed sensor referred to by code P0722 and is on top of the transmission, under the mount support bracket.

Bentley makes the replacement of G68 sound terrible. It is not. Remove the air cleaner housing and battery tray. G68 is out of sight, under the transmission mount support bracket. Support the weight of the transmission on a jack, lifting on the skid plate. The support bracket must be removed. VW says to replace all 4 support bolts (these are the same bolts replaced in a timing belt replacement). Instead of replacing them, before removal I used a Sharpie to make match marks on all 4 bolts. When replacing them I realigned the marks, plus 1/12 turn. If the transmission falls out, I'll be sure to post it.

With the 4 bolts out, lower the transmission about 2 inches to make room to move the support bracket aside. You don't need to get it out of the car, just move it aside so you can get to the speed sensor. Everything from here is simple remove and replace.

Buying the sensor was something of an ordeal. The parts guy brought out the G22 speedo sensor (357 919 149B). If I had not had the Bentley manual and VW TSB with me, I think he would not have believed that the other sensors existed. The G68 output speed sensor has a pigtail harness; the G38 input sensor does not. My G68 is 01M 927 321B. My G38 is 095 927 321B. Check your numbers; the parts guy said there was a G68 number change on later models.

It's now been about 3 months, and everything is good, so I believe this info is right.

So before swapping out the transmission it might be cheaper first to replace the G68 Speed sensor. ;)
A little tricky to get to but not impossible.

Oh, here is the link to this post:

VWVortex.com - Limp Mode, P0722 OBD code, and Vehicle Speed Sensor

Here is the Sensor that he is referring to:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/01M_927_321B/ES267784/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have ordered the G68 Speed Sensor, part number 01M927321 however it will not be in until tomorrow. Spoke to the Mechanic and he advises that late this afternoon he checked the Vehicle Output Speed Sensor and had 714 Ohms and apparently this should be showing between 800 - 900 Ohms. I of course do not understand this stuff so am posting for your comments.

The Mechanic also says he is using a generic type scanner and recommends we take the car to the dealer and have it scanned prior to installing the ordered part. He would like to have them check the Throttle Position Switch for voltage to _ _ _ opening (can't remember his exact words) as well. He said there was some oil spillage around this switch from my last eposide with the oil cover breaking and coming off and that could be playing havoc with the Throttle Positon Switch even though he cleaned it up. I think I have correctly documented what he has told me! We have also ordered a new oil tube and oil dipstick as those need replaced as well.

If you have any comments or thoughts let us know. Will post again once we have more info! As always, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The G68 is the Output Speed Sensor and that is what you are going to replace, right? So it is not surprising that it doesn't read the proper voltage on his meter.
I wouldn't worry about getting it scanned by the dealer until that G68 Output Speed sensor has been replaced. If the throttle position sensor was dirty then cleaning it with some electronics cleaner should have been fine. It is right behind the throttle plates and will get dirty. You may need a throttle adaption done via VCDS/Vag com software but that isn't a big deal. I wouldn't take it to the dealer for that, they will charge you an arm and a leg. Just find someone in your are with a Vag com and have them hook up your car and do the throttle adaption. Really easy process.
Go to this link: VWVortex.com - Vag-Com Locator searchable map style! Owners pm me your info requested in the thread
Put in your location and it will bring up a list of people that have the Vag Com tool which will be happy to help you out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your reply Indy Tom. After scanning the dealer is advising that we do need the G68 - Code P0722 - Output Speed Sensor, 01M-927-321 replaced which is the part that we had already ordered. In addition they advise we need the Mass Air Meter, part number 06A-906-461-AX and they have quoted a cost of $266.00 plus 13% tax for this part ... ouch. I have found this part at Canada Parts Online, their part number RVB316702, for $42.03 USD and it indicates "AEG" 4 prong so I believe it's the correct one. A lot of them on this site for a 1998 2.0L Automatic show as 5 prong but this is the only one that shows the "AEG".

Here is the link:

Canada Parts Online - rbv316702

I have a .pdf of the Diagnosis Log the dealer gave me today. I am going to try attaching it to this post and hope that it will appear so you can have a look.

Let us know what you think. Hubby should arrive home shortly and I am sure he will want to order the Mass Air Meter from Canada Parts Online but I will have him first read your previous post Indy Tom.

You guys are an amazing resource! Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Ouch, the dealer really likes their parts. Looks like you found a GREAT deal on the MAF sensor at Canadian Parts.
It should work fine and is a lot cheaper than the stealer. ;)

I looked at the readout from the dealer and see a few random misfires. Are they saying that these are because of the malfunctioning MAF sensor?

Anyway, I would just take it one step at the time. Go ahead and swap out the G68 Output Speed Sensor and see if that fixes your transmission issue. In the meantime you might as well get the new MAF sensor. At that price it is a bargain.
After that I would reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery and touching the two battery cables together. That should clear the settings and let the ECM get fresh readings.
After a day or two see how the car behaves. If you still have random Misfires we can check the spark plugs and the plug gap.
After that we can check the coil and so on. But for now I think you are on the right path. I hope you will get it fixed soon so you can enjoy driving your beetle.
You both have a fabulous Weekend!

·
Registered
4 Posts
P0722

my 02 vw beetle is showing codes P0715 and P0722. It appears to be in limp mode. It wont pass smog because the check engine light is on. I know these codes are for tranny speed sensors. Most of the forums say to change out these sensors. My question is: what do i do to fix the actual problem? Speed sensor replacement seems like a "band aid" to the real problem.

Also, should i do a simple tranny service first? I've heard that this can sometimes fix the problem too.

thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts