NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Beetle. Are there any grease fittings to lubricate? Or, are all the ball joint/tie rod ends the sealed/no grease fittings type?

I've changed the oil a bunch of times since I got "him" but never got around to researching if chassis needs to be lubed.

Thanks - George

·
Registered
100 Posts
No grease fittings are mentioned (or illustrated) in the Bentley Volkswagen New Beetle Maintenance Manual. The suspension, steering, wheel and CV-joint bearings are all sealed with regards to lubricants. The regular maintenance items are outlined in the Bentley Volkswagen New Beetle Maintenance Manual; you might want to purchase a copy from one of the forum sponsors (e.g., Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Maintenance > Manuals > ES#2143023 New Beetle (98-10) Service Manual - Paperback - VB10).

Good luck! :cool:

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
if you are getting some squeaking during turns or bumps, you might want to try lubricating the sway bar bushings. but those usually don't squeak unless you upgrade to stiffer aftermerket ones.

there's also the rubber bushings in the control arms at the subframe that could use a little lubricant too if you really want to go the extra mile, but it doesn't really do anything, maybe prolong the life of the rubber.

and by lubricant, i don't mean actual grease, i mean the stuff in the spraycan, like silicone or white lithium.

oh yeah, white lithium grease works wonders on noisy/sticky door hinges and latches too, on all cars and houses, not just beetles. basically where there's any metal on metal pivot point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts