NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I'm the owner of Vaquita, a white, 1998 5-speed New Beetle that's been with me since last September; and whom is unfortunately on his last leg. D: He needs a new heart (engine), and I am aghast at the cost! I am heavily contemplating going through with it, but the cost is what I paid for it, and I'm not entirely sure that I want to go with it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Look on carpart.com. enter your year, make, and model. Then search by distance, using your zip code. This is a worldwide database of junk yards. You will find an engine close to you, and prices are pretty much wholesale they're about as low as are going to get .
Oh, and welcome to New Beetle.org!
Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
Maybe time to upgrade to a newer one? :(

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Welcome to the org...wish it were under better circumstances that we meet you :(

This is a great place full of wonderful, knowledgeable, helpful people that are just itching to give good advice. If your baby has other issues it may indeed be time for an upgrade. If you can find a new one in decent condition that costs about the same as a new engine, I would say go for it.

I hope all goes well, whatever you end up doing.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Hello! I'm the owner of Vaquita, a white, 1998 5-speed New Beetle that's been with me since last September; and whom is unfortunately on his last leg. D: He needs a new heart (engine), and I am aghast at the cost! I am heavily contemplating going through with it, but the cost is what I paid for it, and I'm not entirely sure that I want to go with it.
The cost evaluation for surgical procedures on my 02 is why I now have a payment and am driving a 12B.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why thank you for the welcomes. c:

Back onto the subject, I do believe it is time for a new one... I've looked and uprooted everything but the kitchen sink in the search for parts/engines; and I've decided to just scrap the vehicle.
The dealership I purchased him from performed the necessary "100,000" maintenance, but when the reins were turned over to me, I immediately noticed problems:
-The oil was near empty. (I was quite incensed at this),
-The brakes were very shoddy.
-The tires were near bald.
-Driving the vehicle, something seemed off about the shifting; I had a scary incident where I was waiting at a red light, and when it turned green, I shifted into first, but it flew into reverse! I'm not an amateur at driving standard cars, and as such, I didn't flail wildly on the shift knob to where I would go into reverse... It was scary.
-The driver's side headlamp was gorilla glued in, and the dim bulb went out after awhile (the lights were average, but there was a very small difference between dims and brights).

I guess the main point is, even with my fixing as much as I could, the engine wasn't quite right from the beginning.

-end rant. ;p

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
Go to your profile, and change your car to 1998.....there's no such thing as a 1992 New Beetle..... :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I don't know the particulars of the lemon law; but it sounds like a whole lotta lemon was sold to you under false pretenses concluding with an engine that quit after less than 4 months. Maybe the dealer should be held responsible for some of this mess if possible. I know that laws are supposed to be in our favor but somehow the crooked dealers always seem to come out ahead. Worth looking into though. I hope you find the perfect new baby to love and care for that doesn't come chock full of issues from the start. I lucked out with Iggy and so far I am keeping my fingers crossed that she stays that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Changed! I misread it when I was entering the info. >_>

I've been looking into said laws, and I'm trying to do my research properly so I don't come off as ignorant when and if I present this to the dealership/courts!

As of this writing, the vehicle does not run. It turns over, but trying to drive it any distance is not feasible.

Currently, it leaks oil heavily, and I've slogged through everything, making sure that it wasn't an easier repair and much less cost to keep the vehicle running; unfortunately, even if I replaced everything else and left the engine alone, it would still be that.

I'm trying to remember exactly what went wrong/details as so I might be able to further pinpoint it with your guys' vast knowledge pools! o:

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
I feel your pain

I had an 02 Diesel New Beetle which I still love dearly. We paid $3,500.00 for it and spent close to $4,000.00 in repairs on him in the next two years.

The dealer gave us close to $5,000.00 for him in trade on a brand new 2013 Diesel Beetle. It was one of the hardest decisions of my life, but it was the smart and correct choice.

I have seen Beetles with more modifications cost wise then the house we are getting ready to buy costs. It's all up to your wallet and how crazy you want to get. When my timing belt went in Der Stuka it was $3,000.00 alone and that only replaced about 1/4 of the engine.

Good luck with your situation. I agree with Ed, A new car payment or lease beats an old car engine repair payment without a warranty any day.

Chuckie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ugh. I certainly wish that I could use the beetle as a down payment, but I cannot. >:C

I am looking to give another beetle a home, hopefully one that doesn't have a laundry list of problems at the get-go. o:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts