NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am in Los Angeles, the Hollywood/Los Feliz area....My 2000 1.8L turbo Beetle has been having issues I am sad to say...I am curious to hear what the "experts" on this forum think may be going on and see if anyone knows of a good reasonable VW mechanic in the area!! ??

Prob #1 About a month ago my engine cooling fan ran non-stop for 3 days. Even at cold start-up---then finally went off. Well now it doesn't seem to come on at all. Even when in major L>A. traffic for 45 minutes when I am guessing the under the hood are is getting spicy hot! Is that fan running constantly then failing a coolant temp sensor thing or???

Prob#2 My CEL has never worked since I bought the car. I had to get it fixed this year to pass emissions. I took it to someone who I was told was "the best" with electrical and familiar with my car etc. he pulled my cluster, set off the immobilizer and called to tell me he couldnt fix my light and "Oh also sorry but your car own't start now.." It was towed elsewhere. CEL was repaired. Then got a running rich code on OBD reading...AND despite my odometer and speedometer registering speed and miles, my mechanic tells me 'The cluster is not sending the miles to the ECU" So even though you have driven x amount of miles, it says zero on the computer?? He recommends I replace the whole cluster....Oh and the first guy that Immobilized the car and couldnt fix it..also broke the pink plastic arm off the pigtail wires behind the cluster....I am wondering if a loose connection could cause this weirdness or did they actually damage the circuit board? Any thoughts or suggestions would b appreciated!!!

I hear the dealer doesn't have clusters anymore....so i am going to HAVe to go used. My other question is if it comes to that, Anyone know a place in L.A. that can program the used cluster CORRECTLY? I am assuming we won't have the SKC...:(

Sad.
Thanks in advance and I wish some of ya'll were in this neck of the country!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to you from Texas! L.A. members?

Where is the better place to ask about these ..ahem...little issues? Seems like not too many people are roaming the New Members section...hahaha.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Welcome from Central Minnesota.

Sounds like you have a bad coolant temp sensor. Not sure on how to fix it...

You will have better luck posting in the 1.8t section...there are always some great help floating 'round them parts.

Oh, almost forgot, dont forget to share some pics. We LOVE pics!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts