NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been working away and am mostly finished with Greta. She is a 2003 TDI with 240K miles. Bought in horrible shape and has been transformed into an Old Skool beauty. Let me know what you think. Future plans are for chrome door handles, and an early beetle steering wheel and shift knob.

Attachments

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
That car needs a retro looking roof rack.
I like the direction your heading with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered the Classic Spirit White Wall Tire Paint, but I received the Gildan. Not sure if they are the same or not, but I would recommend trying the Classic Spirit. I am not overly impressed with the Gildan. It looks great at first, but begins to brown and I can't get it clean back up to white. ALSO, you must prep your tires very well.... clean, clean, clean or else it will peel when you try to remove the tape. Learning experience, but a lot cheaper than the $280 a piece for the real 16" white wall tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a line on a roof rack for a classic beetle, but I wasn't ready to drop the $175 not knowing if I could retro fit it to a new beetle. Still on the hunt for a nice chrome and wood one...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a line on a roof rack for a classic beetle, but I wasn't ready to drop the $175 not knowing if I could retro fit it to a new beetle. Still on the hunt for a nice chrome and wood one...
i don't think you can adapt it because new beetle is wider than old bug, a friend made this for my car so if you are interested i can take measurements for you

thanks for the info about paint because mine cracked very quickly

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
There are only 2 that I know of, made for the NB that have the wood slates.
One is the Pip rack, by far the best looking rack for these cars.
The second is the TVA flat four. Both are no longer made, but if you keep digging, one is bound to pop up.
As a matter of fact, I picked up a TVA Flat four last weekend.

First pic is the Pip rack.
Second pic is the TVA Flat four rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really like the Flat Four rack the best. I think it has the old look to it. I did find another one on the samba.com, but it is in Shreveport, LA and i just don't have the cash for it right now. The tire paint... You have to use the "White Wall Tire" paint. It is rubberized, and will flex with your tires. No other paint works. I tried the Vinyl seat paint thinking it would surely flex, nope, it cracked really bad after only one test drive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I really like the Flat Four rack the best. I think it has the old look to it. I did find another one on the samba.com, but it is in Shreveport, LA and i just don't have the cash for it right now. The tire paint... You have to use the "White Wall Tire" paint. It is rubberized, and will flex with your tires. No other paint works. I tried the Vinyl seat paint thinking it would surely flex, nope, it cracked really bad after only one test drive.

i used this paint

Llantas cara blanca

but now i think that it is only a simple paint relabeled :p:(

·
ToD 6, Count Down.
473 Posts
Love, Love, Love the look of your car. I have been thinking about going the same route my self, I love the Ole School look on a New Beetle. questions: What size and manufacture tires are you using ? I currently have low profile Michelin's and they don't have enough side wall to paint. I was looking at Coker Tires, but there 3 inch white wall is like $ 280 a piece, and I met a local guy that has them and is on his third set, not happy and say's there a pretty poorly manufactured tire. As for roof racks, there a company called Vintage Speed, http://www.VintageSpeed.com.tw that has a RR similar to the Pip and Tva, but it's for a Air Cooled beetle, which is smaller and he didn't think the mounts could be modified to fit a newer beetle, but it's still a good looker, it's $ 450.00

·
ToD 6, Count Down.
473 Posts
There are only 2 that I know of, that have the wood slates.
One is the Pip rack, by far the best looking rack for these cars.
The second is the TVA flat four. Both are no longer made, but if you keep digging, one is bound to pop up.
As a matter of fact, I picked up a TVA Flat four last weekend.

First pic is the Pip rack.
Second pic is the TVA Flat four rack.
Where is the best place to search for racks like these, E Bay or the Samba ???

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Both of those places first.
I actually found mine on Craigs List.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The tires are factory size, 205/65R16 I think, maybe 55's can't remember, but nothing special. I looked into the Cokers also but wow at the price. BF Goodrich also makes a set for a 16 inch rim, but again with the price... I am pretty disappointed with the paint. Did it work? Yes. Is it lasting? No. It is turning brownish and I cannot find anything that will clean it, except Lacquer Thinner, and I think that is just taking the outer layer off. Looking into Port A Walls... although I heard that they don't work very well with tubeless tires. Something about the way the bead seats. Still no luck on a roof rack. Looking for an old Ivory colored steering wheel now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts