VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '02 Beetle 2.0 has been burning oil since I got it which has never really been a problem. It will "choke" a little to let me know its low if I don't catch it! In October, I got an oil change before taking a trip across country and had no issues at all except when I got home she was quite low, filled her up with 5/40W. The other day my husband was driving behind me and said he saw "grey" smoke coming from my tailpipe. I stopped driving it immediately cuz I don't want to blow her up. I checked the forum and it seems like smoke could be nothing or could be rings or worse. Any suggestions for diagnosing her?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
One of the easy things to check is the crankcase ventilation system. If it is plugged it could contribute to your problem. See this for how to check it:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/59278-yellow-goo-what-do.html

I have had to replace the seal between the oil cooler and the block as well as the valve cover gasket. Both are fairly common contributors to oil loss.

A compression test would tell you the condition of the piston rings and cylinder walls and give some feel for the wear on the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts