NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question about auto trans starter?

Ive read that a grinding noise just after starting could be cause by clutch dust build up on the starter. My beetle however, has an automatic, so what else could it be?

·
Registered
14,068 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After listening to the audio file in the above post i have decided that it must be my starter gummed up because my car sounds exactly like that. Ive noticed that the automatic models take a different starter than ones with a manual. There is a third bolt hole in the one i need and i want to know is this another bolt that i will have to fight or is it just for an accessory bracket?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you red. Today i went to the junkyard and i was able to find a 97 Jetta with an auto 2.0 that was already torn down enough were i could see everything. On that car the third hole was just there with nothing in it. I was worried of it some how being connected to a engine mount which i really dont want to hassle with in my apartment's parking lot. Im on a really tight budget and my max i can spend is 150. Do you know of any decent starters in my price range

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I don't think you need a new starter. Just take yours out, clean and lube the starter gear mechanism. You'll see the gear slides back and forth on a shaft to engage the ring gear on the flywheel. Clean up that shaft and grease it. Make sure the gear slides smoothly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill give it a try. The DIY looks simple enough and my car is grinding at every start. I hope my ring gear isnt damaged :cry:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I greased it up today and I must say it was easy to do. I found out thay my stater was a cheapo date stamped from 09 but so far no noise. Thanks for all the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts