NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOndering where to start.

Gross evap leak code is thrown.

literally smells up my entire house of gas when i fill up and park in the garage.

Its not leaking gas, so its just fumes. Just dont know where to start. Looking for direct. Would be great !!!

If anyone knows what to do with a ignition thats sliping that would be great too. Should i just get a push button start and skip the hassle.

thanks a ton everyone !!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The EVAP canisters are known to crack on these cars. Could be your issue. The right rear wheel well liner needs to be removed to get at it.

On the ignition, the piece inside the steering column that locks the steering wheel can break. The lock cylinder then becomes disconnected from the ignition switch. This could be the slipping that you describe. See:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...ew-beetle/59971-ignition-key-switch-lock.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the thing is the smell is coming strong from near the passenger front tire where all the fuel lines are located.

so could it be one of those lines ? if so which one ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next step i took was put it on a lift and looked around the tank. i see nuts and other nesting materials. Could this be a mouse or something ontop of the tank ?>

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Rodents chew everything and likley they may have chewed a fuel vapor line.

Has the car been sitting for a long time?

There are evap lines under the hood on the passenger side near the upper strut tower, as I recall there is even a port to pressurize the system to check for leaks as well.

Another favorite nesting place is under the cowl and near the cabin air filter in these cars.

If the car has been sitting, suggest you replace the cabin air filter, clean out all the leaves and debris and any rodent nests.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to update. Found a small hole after droppin the tank (extremely time consuming). THe hole was right on one of the connectors on the top of the tank. Covered the lines with a sealant. All good. Also cleaned throttle body, maf, replaced TB gasket and much more.

good as new :)

still terrible gas mileage for a small car.

between 20-25mpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts