NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a difficult time tracking down the source of a growling hum in the front suspension. Someone mentioned that I might have a wheel bearing issue...but I'm not sure. I start hearing the hum around 3400 RPMs and it crescendos to a growl at around 3800 RPMs (no matter what gear I'm in). Speed seems to be irrelevant and the hum doesn't go away when I turn left or right. Finally, the hum only occurs when I'm driving and does not occur when I'm in neutral at 3800 RPMS.

I've already replaced the flywheel, starter, all four tires and left and right axles. I've also checked all of the engine mounts - they're fine.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
wheel bearings

It could be the bearings are going out, hard to say without actually hearing it pesonally.
How many miles on the car? If the car already has high mileage (150K+) and you plan on keeping this car for a long time I would replace the bearings anyway together with most front end suspension parts like ; struts, ball joints , tie rods ends, control arm bushings, swaybar bushings. If you can do all the works yourself it's not too costly and can be a learning experience for ya, good luck man.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm...you could be right.

Upon further investigation, it appears as if there might be a muted growl in the engine at 3800 RPMs. Perhaps the transmission is amplifying the growl???

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
not sure hah?

Not sure what the problem is than? How fast can the wifey run?...LOL have her run beside the front end of the car while you drive and rev up the engine..LOL :p jk jk Another common problem with these beetles is the SAI pump usually does a funny growling noise intermittently. check that out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts