NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
blark.
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, I know that NBs and GTIs are practically the same platform-wise, and often times you can swap struts/dampers/springs between the two.

I have an opportunity to get a deal Koni sport kit (Koni Yellows, Koni Sport Springs; ~40mm drop) that came off of a VR6 GTI.

Here's how the parts match up:

Front: same parts for GTI/NB

Rear: slightly different; more compression for the GTI - Some retailers sell the GTI dampers as NB-compatible (MJM)

Springs: Koni doesn't make sport springs for the NB, and I talked to someone at Koni and they said the GTI spring rate is a little high for the NB. These springs are listed for all GTI/Golfs, regardless of engine.

Has anyone used this kit on a NB, or does anyone have any sage advice? I wouldn't mind a little drop, and I would definitely like better handling and I'm willing to accept a slightly stiffer ride.

·
Got gremlins????
116 Posts
HEY! Great question and one that I can answer!!! I bought a set of Koni coilovers off of Vortex from a guy with a MKIV GTI for my Turbo S. And they work great on my car, so yes the Golf Mark 4 platform is basically the bug platform, so yes the springs should be the same. I love the stance on mine, but my coils are as low as they can go.

·
blark.
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. The thing is, for some reason the only shocks Koni specifies a different rear for the NB than the GTI are the Yellows, otherwise the part numbers are all the same.

For that reason I think I'm safe, but we'll see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts