NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little research I did says that some oil will be found in the intercooler and hosing, however I think I may have a problem.

When I removed the hose to the intercooler to get to the S-belt tensioner my arm was drenched in oil as I removed the hose. About a cup of oil came out.

This doesn't seem good, not good at all. Anyone have any idea how much oil in there is bad?

·
Registered
307 Posts
could be a lot of things really. couple questions

mileage?
intake manifold ever cleaned out?
is the ccv clogged?
any movement in the turbo?

the mileage and turbo kinda go together if the turbo is going the seals can give lending to that.

if the ccv is clogged it can also cause that

if the intake is clogged i've seen that cause lots of oil as well.

anyway i guess you have some places to look. good luck and just keep an eye on it while your are diagnosing what is causing the oil in there

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
250,000km, which is just over 150,000 miles.
Intake was cleaned out last summer.
No idea on the CCV or the turbo.

I stopped by my mechanic this morning and asked him, he didn't seem too concerned as long as the engine wasn't using up too much oil. It does use some, about 1 liter (quart) every 8000km (5000miles) between oil changes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
unless he is a trusted tdi mechanic from tdiclub.com i'm not 100% sure i would trust him. Anyway besides that over the next few months keep an eye on it and see how much might be gathering in there. it only takes a few minutes plus if it is a lot you are better off draining it that way you do not get a runaway.

anyway when you crack it open if you feel there is a lot of oil it could be 2 things at this point IMHO either a clogged ccv filter. that hockey puck looking thing on top of your engine. or a turbo. If you do see the oil and think it is one of these two i would suggest going over to tdiclub.com finding a local trusted mechanic (not a dealership) and taking it to them.

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts