NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall! I'm pretty new to the BUG LIFE so please excuse me if I get something wrong. I'm Garrick, I'm 18 and I live in Houston. Well I've always wanted a bug, but everytime I was close to buying one, something would always happen, like unemployment, or catastrophic engine failure. Well who cares about that, because I finally have one and I love him. About three weeks ago, I got a job at a local VW dealership, which finally allowed me to pay a car note. So I went on a hunt for my perfect bug. I had been a big fan of the Turbo S for a while, so I knew I just had to have one. Well the problem was there were only three listed on Craigslist in Houston. Only one was completely stock. So after what seemed like eons of waiting in the dealership, I finally obtained the keys to my 2002 Reflex Silver??? Beetle Turbo S with 145,000 miles. I named him Gumball. Not after the race, but after the blue cat on Cartoon Network.He's got some blemishes, but I have a lot in store for him, but since I'm new to owning a Beetle, I have a few questions. What should be replaced, since hes a mileage vehicle and all? Is it normal for it to smell like a box of crayons? Every bug I've sat in has smelled the same. Does anyone know any good headlight restoration kits? Because I want to run HID's, but I dont want to use them with dirty lenses. That's all for now. (The red eclipse and tan s10 are my previous cars)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome Gumball looks great. Things to check are the water pump, timing belt and tensioner. Yes there are many posts on the crayon smell. Something about the carpet padding.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll let one of the techs check those things at work. And my crayon smell is starting to fade away. I think my body spray is mixing with it, because its starting to smell like peppermint.

·
Super Moderator
14,784 Posts
Awesome Turbo S! I may be a little bit biased, but it's screaming for front clears. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
headlights

I've had that problem too with the headlights. I tried using a restoring kit didn't work at all. So what I did was make my bro use different grits of sandpaper, from 200 to ending with 2000 (wet-sanding it!) then polishing and waxing it. We used a rotating sand machine, but don't put too much pressure takes time as well.

It's normal for it to smell like crayons. Is there a booklet in the glove compartment? I think that tells you what should be regularly checked and I think it has a schedule maintenance.

If you ever plan on putting any mods, feel free to ask. I have some light mods on my turbo s and it's a blast to drive my car everyday to school lol. Have fun :)

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Awesome Bug. Welcome to the clan!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had that problem too with the headlights. I tried using a restoring kit didn't work at all. So what I did was make my bro use different grits of sandpaper, from 200 to ending with 2000 (wet-sanding it!) then polishing and waxing it. We used a rotating sand machine, but don't put too much pressure takes time as well.

It's normal for it to smell like crayons. Is there a booklet in the glove compartment? I think that tells you what should be regularly checked and I think it has a schedule maintenance.

If you ever plan on putting any mods, feel free to ask. I have some light mods on my turbo s and it's a blast to drive my car everyday to school lol. Have fun :)
I actually had some luck with a headlight restoration kit. I bought a meguiar's kit for about $15 and with some serious elbow grease the headlights actually came out pretty good. Not completely clear, but good. I think I'll just get them done at work.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Welcome to a great place full of even better people. They are always here to help with a smile. I'm so glad I found them. Meeting up in person is even better. Maybe you could find a way to drag Gumball up to Tail of the dragon in North Carolina this May?

Gumball looks awesome! All he needs now is an orange brother :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to a great place full of even better people. They are always here to help with a smile. I'm so glad I found them. Meeting up in person is even better. Maybe you could find a way to drag Gumball up to Tail of the dragon in North Carolina this May?

Gumball looks awesome! All he needs now is an orange brother :)

TOD may be in Gumball's future. I just need to do some extreme saving.:D Also, I've been doing some thinking on whether I should get it repainted to be the same color as Gumball The Cat. Personally I think it would look really good.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
TOD may be in Gumball's future. I just need to do some extreme saving.:D Also, I've been doing some thinking on whether I should get it repainted to be the same color as Gumball The Cat. Personally I think it would look really good.
Save on man. I'd love to see you and Gumball there. I also think that would be a great color on a bug.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Things I plan to do soon:
  • Paint the interior trim pieces
  • Redo the headliner with new fabric
  • Get new fabric for the tray thingy in the trunk
  • Replace all the vacuum hoses
Does anybody know of a DIY Thread of painting the interior pieces, I've been searching, but I cant seem to find it. I'm soooo tired of looking at the scratched rubber crap around the radio.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I know I've found them with a search. I took one's advice and used purple power and scribble sponges to get rid of all the plastic gunk. After that I wet sanded with 320 grit. Then I used a Rustoleum spray that was good for use on plastic. 3 coats primer, 3 coats color, then wax instead of clearcoat since I was doing my dash and wanted less glare. There are a bunch that have used plastikote or plastidip spray. It is great because you can peel it off and go back to original if you want and it looks more like original finish. I've not used it because I haven't found it in the colors I need but black is easy to find. I'll have to find the name of the guy that was using a lot of it in his bug. He's in Hawaii. Think its Navyman or something close to that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know I've found them with a search. I took one's advice and used purple power and scribble sponges to get rid of all the plastic gunk. After that I wet sanded with 320 grit. Then I used a Rustoleum spray that was good for use on plastic. 3 coats primer, 3 coats color, then wax instead of clearcoat since I was doing my dash and wanted less glare. There are a bunch that have used plastikote or plastidip spray. It is great because you can peel it off and go back to original if you want and it looks more like original finish. I've not used it because I haven't found it in the colors I need but black is easy to find. I'll have to find the name of the guy that was using a lot of it in his bug. He's in Hawaii. Think its Navyman or something close to that.

Thanks. Im gonna try it when I finally get some free time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The mods are starting. I'm gonna start painting the interior bits today, and then next week my new exhaust tip from the HiDef Passat is coming in. I'm so excited!!!!!:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts