NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after Darla was totaled, I needed a new ride. Wanted to keep it in the VW family, so I found this 20thAE GTI. 112k on him, cold air intake, aftermarket wheels, koni yellows, but otherwise stock. Loving the 1.8T and 6-speed manual. Did a small photoshoot over the weekend since he got nicely detailed :) The PO put on carbon fiber looking vinyl on the front bumper instead of a bra and covered rock chips, so the paint got messed up when it came off (which are the grey spots on the bumper and why the .:R bra is on there). Hoping to find a new hood or something soon. Got some touch-up paint on order in a spray can to do the bumper.

My fave:

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Wow, that thing looks like new and someone really took care of it; AND you look happy? Sounds good to me! :) I test drove a similar model when they were new in 2002; quick cars but I opted for my turbo s (basically the same car)! :)

·
Super Moderator
14,715 Posts
The demise your your 2.0 NB might have been a blessing in disguise.... :wink2:

That is like a dream car! :party: Congrats!

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Nice Ride......I know your lovin that 6spd.
I am sure Al will agree, we would love to see Gunther at T.o.D.
There is already 1 black GTI signed up. I would love to add your name to the attendee list...... No pressure, just think about it.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will certainly think about it...I've missed it every year so far :( But we're buying a house and my job is up in the air as far as how long it will last so we're going go have to play things by ear. We're also planning for SoWo and I have a conference to go to in May as well. But we'll see :) I think he'd be a blast to drive at ToD!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Is your plate REALLY AFK? Away From Keyboard? Geekiest. Plate. EVER!!

I love Gunther! Can't wait to be taken for a spin in him :)

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Cool pictures!
Great looking Golf (oh, sorry I mean Rabbit :p).

My friend has black Golf also (year 2000 TDI with 5 doors).
It has over 400´000 kms in the odometer now :thup:

I´m glad that you´re happy with your new Volkswagen (after the loss of beloved Darla).

Happy miles!

·
Super Moderator
20,814 Posts
Nice Ride......I know your lovin that 6spd.
I am sure Al will agree, we would love to see Gunther at T.o.D.
There is already 1 black GTI signed up. I would love to add your name to the attendee list...... No pressure, just think about it.
Yep, I agree Gene:D. She's a former nB owner, and Gunther is a VW, so Gunther meets ToD Honorary Beetle status. So come on down!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is your plate REALLY AFK? Away From Keyboard? Geekiest. Plate. EVER!!

I love Gunther! Can't wait to be taken for a spin in him :)
Haha yeah. That's the plate I was given. Contemplating a custom plate, but not sure what to get. All the ones I really want are taken :( Might just have to get a Europlate though!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Cool pictures!
Great looking Golf (oh, sorry I mean Rabbit :p).

My friend has black Golf also (year 2000 TDI with 5 doors).
It has over 400´000 kms in the odometer now :thup:

I´m glad that you´re happy with your new Volkswagen (after the loss of beloved Darla).

Happy miles!
400,000km = 248,548.4 US mi!

My beloved 98 TDI Beetle had 279,580 miles (that's 449,940.3km) - these motors just don't quit! (Sadly, accidents will happen)

Haha yeah. That's the plate I was given. Contemplating a custom plate, but not sure what to get. All the ones I really want are taken :( Might just have to get a Europlate though!
"2.0to24v" ?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Realized I haven't updated this in awhile! I've put nearly 8k on the car since September and loving every single mile. Just did a 1k mile trip recently over a 10 day period. Raleigh -> Helen, GA for SoWo -> Hendersonville, NC for a work conference -> Asheville, NC for hubby and my second wedding anniversary and my 25th birthday. Also logged in about 150 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway. He handled the mountain roads like a champ...the sport suspension really lets him hug the turns like crazy. Going into Helen on 17N was a very twisty ride and I was keeping up with some modified VWs and Audis with no problem...even outperforming one of them (he kept slowing up, taking away my fun :(). I loved my Beetle and I always will miss that car, but the performance of this beast...just love it.

Here are some updates. For Christmas, my hubs got me some new glass e-code headlights.

Old and busted:

Removal:

New hotness:

I had really been wanting glass lenses for the NB. Never seen any made. But they are awesome. Much brighter and my fogs actually are really nice too. I tend to use them as an intermediate between low and high beams for more light without blinding people.

Next step was to do some touch-up to the front bumper, which was covered in rock chips. Got some spray touch-up from VW (perfect match and was really handy for this job. One can of paint and one can of clear) and went to town.
Masked off. All the grey spots are the rock chips:

Sanded and ready for paint:

First coat of paint:

And the finished product! I did 2 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear, mostly because that's all I could get out of the cans (they are smaller cans but worth it for sure). I would have liked a few more coats of clear to add more gloss to the finish, but it works well enough. Eventually I'll probably get a full front-end respray because there are a ton of rock chips, but this helps a lot. I'll likely get some more touch-up spray and re-do the side mirrors at least. I'm no paint pro but its nice to make the car look a tad better.

Done some maintenance lately too:

That was replacing the serpentine belt. I've also done a second oil change and replaced the (original at 118k) fuel filter! Oh and don't forget the air filters too...waited until after pollen season was over for those though! First oil change and transmission gear oil were changed by my mechanic at 113k right after I got him.

Right before SoWo I was getting my air filters from my mechanic's shop and they had some smoked side markers in stock so I snagged a set. I was wanting clears, but the side turns are smoked as are the tails (tails are smoked factory :cool:) so these worked out very nicely. Not usually one for the blacked out look, but I love this.

And last but not least, hubby made me a boost gauge pod for my birthday! I had wanted the side vent pod but no one made them for the mk4. So he got a spare vent and went to town with his dremmel. Its a nice location...not in the way of visibility of anything, easy to see, and you still can use the vent.

All installed:

He's been a happy boy the last few months for sure. At SoWo, VW was doing a thing called VW Director where they had professional photographers taking pictures of your car in a booth. I showed up to the show on Friday before the grounds were packed and signed up and got a spot Saturday morning. They filled up those spots very quick and were raffling off a lot on Saturday so I'm lucky I got there early! There were over 3k cars there and not sure of how many cars they shot but probably around 100. I got a print there at the show and hopefully will get more via email soon. They put all of the prints up on their blog though!

Here is my boy in the booth:

Here he is enjoying the Blue Ridge Parkway:

And lastly, my favorite shot recently. Because we were in town and they opened the show grounds Friday night for SoWo, I took advantage. I wasn't really thinking I'd get a lot of attention for it, but its also not that kind of show. Its a show about just being together and enjoying VWs. So I figured I'd bring him onto the grounds. Great location and loved being able to say that I've shown my car at SoWo. So here we are together at the show!

I do want to reiterate that I miss my Beetle like crazy. But this car is just a whole different animal. And I thoroughly love it. Planning on keeping this guy around for awhile for sure. It didn't get TDI mileage on the trip (we had originally planned to take the TDI for the mileage, but my husband was actually the one who wanted to take the GTI for the fun factor...and he drove a lot of the trip :p) but he did great. Lowest I got was around 26mpg. Got over 30 twice too!

I did sit in a new 2012 Beetle at SoWo though and that is once nice ride! Couldn't part with the GTI though :p

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 20th Anniversary Editions are a bit hard to come by, but I do see them pop up from time to time. A Jazz Blue one showed up on Craigslist a month or so after I got this and my husband thought about it for a short while...but we didn't want matching cars :lol:

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I really like the 20th Anniv. Edition GTIs. A few years ago I almost bought a silver one. I just loved the way they came from the factory with the interior & BBS wheels. I backed out when I found out it was in a pretty bad wreck. I then started looking at the 2004 R32s and test drove a silver one too. This one had a short throw shifter and some other mods but was FAST and hugged the road.

Congrats on the new aquisition. Nice work on the bumper too. I have much respect for a woman that's not afraid to get her hands dirty and jump right in to do her own work

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The one you found was likely a 337 edition, as the 20ths only came in black, blue, and yellow and with Aristo wheels. The 337 was made in 2002 and was similar to the 25th Anniversary edition sold in Europe. But it is a neat car. The 20ths had more features though on the interior.

My husband also thought about an R32 (and I did too honestly :p). But we know someone with one now and he says its a great car but you can certainly feel the extra weight of the VR6 and AWD.

And thanks, btw. I love working on our cars now. I helped rebuild the engine on our '84 Jetta TD, helped with the auto->manual swap and timing belt job on my husband's '01 Jetta TDI and have done various things on my own cars. We do have mechanic friends that we'll take our cars to sometimes but we do a lot of work ourselves.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts