NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, mine was done years ago, removed assembly,cut large flap,peeled back,busted up and emptied, welded back flap. Then about once every 2 months I would get p0420 insufficent catalyst.I thought, really?,you dont say,huh... Now I have done the good old tried and true spark plug non fouler trick. No CEL for over 6 months. I am well aware there will be nay sayers among us, but this is not the first time this trick has been used. It is as old as the downstream o2 sensor, and works very well.
:D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My Cat is rattling like it is full of marbles.

I just purchased a replacement on ebay for about $250, looks really good for the money.

Have not installed it yet, hopefully in the next few weeks I will get a chance to swap it out.

I will try to upload a picture of the ebay Cat, looks pretty good so far, made in Canada out of stainless with nice looking flex joint.

$244 shipped from Muffler Express on ebay. Out of Canada, looks like good quality with gasket. I need to compare OEM to this side by side, but this looks better than the Magnaflow, did not like the looks of the flex joint.

Attachments

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
how does it sound without the cat? Can ya here it spooling more?

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
The muffler and resonator are what stop you from hearing that. Just cut them off and you will be good. And gutted cats are certainly not the best of ideas, as they induce turbulence in the exhaust flow and that equals back pressure. Your best bet is to just do a cat delete pipe with the non fouler trick to get the extra performance. I know the turbo bugs sound like little diesel trucks with their resonators and mufflers off, because that is how i have been driving for about two weeks while i built my 3" exhaust.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jfof probably didn't need a new cat, my cat sounded like it had marbles inside it. So I bought a new catalytic converter but some converters have a tube inside the pipe that gets loose and starts to rattle. All I had to do was heat up the pipe before the cat and use a hammer and punch to lightly put a dent next to the tube and it stopped the rattling sound.

Anyway your cars will probably run better with a catalytic converter as your PCM will have the correct stoichiometry. Not to mention running too rich or lean is harmful. Is the post cat sensor not used to calculate air/fuel?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spaced out cat! 1396133854994.jpg Put some spacers on that thing, and get rid of the P O420 code for ever!
The downstream o2 sensor has absolutely nothing to do with any air fuel mix ratio...
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
Well, mine was done years ago, removed assembly,cut large flap,peeled back,busted up and emptied, welded back flap. Then about once every 2 months I would get p0420 insufficent catalyst.I thought, really?,you dont say,huh... Now I have done the good old tried and true spark plug non fouler trick. No CEL for over 6 months. I am well aware there will be nay sayers among us, but this is not the first time this trick has been used. It is as old as the downstream o2 sensor, and works very well.
:D
Which O2 sensor do you do this with, the pre-cat or downstream cat sensor?

Thanks...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why not just go with an eBay downpipe for under $200? Better flow than the factory downpipe and doesn't require you to mash up the dead cat.

Sound with the eBay downpipe and stock CBE is a little more noticeable than stock. Car seems a little quicker (could be faux butt-dyno readings), powerband is a less linear with the stock tune. Overall, well worth the money and is a good supporting mod for a tune.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My cat has been rattling all winter, last week a guy came into my store with a 'muffler' badge on, told me to call by so I did just for a quote, half hour later I had a new cat fitted, no light (6 days so far) no rattle and no spacer needed on the O2 sensor.

$150 dollars out the door. Bargain.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts