NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
65 Deluxe T2, 00 NB 1.8T
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a set of H&R Sport Springs for my 00 1.8T. I was doing some reading and came across something about needing a new sway bar to provide clearance. Am I going to NEED this bar and if I dont get it what can happen?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
The answer depends on when your 2000 Beetle was born. If it was born before 11/15/1999 then in all likely hood you will need to get a new front sway bar so that it does not rub the front axles.

Mine was made on 11/17/1999 and came with the new slimmer axles, the new sway bar and the metal sway bar end links.

If you have the bulky plastic end links then you definetly have to have the new sway bar.

If you have the metal ones then you most likely have the new setup... I say most likely because I have yet to see one of the newer set ups with the plastic end links.

Tom aka Fowvay

·
65 Deluxe T2, 00 NB 1.8T
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do I find my Beetle's birth certificate or will I only know by taking a peek?

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
There are two ways of getting an accurate build date.

1) Look in your engine compartment. On the drivers side strut tower there should be a white sticker that has the build date written out as DD/MM/YYYY mine says 17/11/1999.

2) Call VW and ask to get your birth certificate. They will ask for your Vin number and from that they can assertain when your vehicle was built.

Tom aka Fowvay

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
If you are having swaybar clearance issues, you can also get adjustable drop links to reposition the bar to clear the drive shafts.
Do a search, they are out there and I've seen a few posts about them.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
NJ Turbo said:
If you are having swaybar clearance issues, you can also get adjustable drop links to reposition the bar to clear the drive shafts.
Do a search, they are out there and I've seen a few posts about them.

I had Freedom Design adjustable end links and they worked well for about a year.... untill. They started to clunk. The metal bearings elongated, allowed movement and caused a lot of noise, vibration and harshness.

I opted to go back to the stock end links and I am much happier now.

Tom aka Fowvay

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
...halfshaft clearance

Play it safe. I installed the H&R front anti-roll bar at the same time as my H&R
sport springs over 40K mi ago and have had zero problems re halfshaft clearance.

H&R will not honor any warranties on their springs unless either their anti-roll bar or
an 'approved droplink solution' is installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts