VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been driving approximately 15 years and this morning on my way to work I was left sitting and had to bum a ride for the first time in my life.

Here's a quick rundown of the car.

2.0 gas
Manual Trans
Drive by CABLE throttle body
Auxilliary Oil/Temp gauges (I won't own a vehicle without them)
Timing belt changed approximately 30,000 miles ago by VW dealer

I was trucking along about 50 and the car just seemed to die. At first it felt like I was losing power so I gave it some more gas and the car just kept slowing and slowing. I also recall my oil pressure light coming on, flashing and beeping, and I checked my gauge and I was right about 47 PSI. I cant remember if the engine was running or not because everything seemed to happen in the course of about 10 seconds. Unsure why my gauge would show good oil PSI but the car's factory "dummy light" sensor was reading low. Unless the sensor malfunctioned and that wouldn't cause the engine to die, would it?

Got to the shoulder of the road and tried to start back but the car will only crank now and not try to fire at all. It seems to crank fine and normal as it always has. I don't hear any odd grinding or anything (hopefully this is a good sign).

Checked the dipstick and saw oil, also checked the connections for my oil pressure gauge and didn't see any leakage there. I haven't crawled under the car yet to inspect anything. Up until the incident the car was running fine no hesitation, no lugging, no signs at all of impending breakdown. Then it was like the car seemed to lose power pretty fast until there wasn't even anything there. That may have been the clutch/transmission spinning the engine as the car was coasting though but I swear it felt like there was a decrese in power when I tried to compensate for the slowdown.

So now, the million dollar question is, what can it be? I've read everything from a trashed engine to a fuel pump to a crank sensor. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, change my own oil, basic maintenence, etc, but I've never owned a VW before and I don't even know where to start. The car will probably, likely end up at a garage (there's a great garage locally that specializes in european stuff) but I'd like to troubleshoot and eliminate anything I can on my own beforehand.

Help, please?

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
Start, by scanning the car; please post any and all trouble codes. I would visually inspect the timing belt; just to make sure, everything looks as it should. Post those codes, we will all do our best to help, get you back on the road! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That may be a problem..

My OBDII scanner dosen't want to connect to the car. I do have a CEL on, and it's been on for quite awhile. I've tried to scan it in the past and can't get it to link up. I've tried clipping the "K line" as I have an aftermarket stereo and that didn't seem to help.

The OBD fuse also is checking good.

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
What make and model of the scanner are you using; what error message are you getting when you try to connect with the scanner? Since the car is down and Not running; right now you might just pull the stereo at this point, to see if you get the scanner to work. Being able to read codes could really help you and hopefully help you figure out what's going on.

Basics

Ignition/coil

you might see if you have ignition spark by pulling one of the plug wires off the coil and see the spark jumps; that would confirm if you have spark or not.

Timing belt/compression

How does the timing belt look; do the timing marks lineup, if you put it top dead center, cylinder number one?

You could start there and let us know what's going on; if all of that passes, you might try a compression test or a fuel pressure test to confirm the fuel pump is good.

Keep us informed; as your troubleshooting process and repairs progresses :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
once in 15

Only once in 15 years? man you're doing good most cars start falling apart once you reach the 4-5 year mark. My check engine light has been on and off for different reasons for the last 4 years and I still can't beat it.

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
When that happened to me, it was a dead battery, dying an unholy death.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would replace the crankshaft position sensor, my Aunt had one fail and she explained it exactly as you just did. She had no symptoms before it happened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts