VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last tuesday I did the radiator and a/c condenser swap on bug.
I sooo remember how fun takin apart front end of car was, when I installed the big intercooler. Not fun.
Well, it was all back together. Had put at least 100 miles on it, testing cooling efficiency, n whatnot.
Coolant never gets over 195. Just stays there. No fluctuation.

Anyway, had matted it quite a few times during that 100 mile test drive.
Yesterday momma took half a day off from work, so I drove us up to the cities to go to red lobster. *(not recommended. Their menu is 1/4 of what it used to be).
But I digress.
On way home. About 15 miles from home, some newer ford pickup wants some. Starts tailgating my ass heavy. I let this go on for 10 miles or so.
After goin around a roundabout, a few miles out of my hometown, I mat it in 3rd. Starts pullin like hell. THEN. 2 huge bucks n jerks. And car falls flat on its face.....WTF I think. Mommas givin me that..."whats THIS gonna cost to fix face.
I nurse car home. Not sayin anything.
Go in, watch a movie. All the time wonderin, whats up?
Soooo, I finally tell her Ive got to go test drive the car and see whats up.
I go. Dead as hell. Doh. Then I notice. Cars buildin NO boost.
Get back to house. Put car on stands. Pull bottom shield.
The hose going into the intercooler popped off. DOH'.
Clean everything off. Put back together. Clear code. Restest drive.
Alls good. Damm. The paranoid thoughts that go thru a guys head when **** like that happens.
Id never experienced a boost hose leak, let alone coming off During a wot.
Ill know next time. Lol
Hope I didnt bore u all with my story.

And. Yes, with 3 different gauges monitoring boost. Youd of thunk Id of caught dat right away. Lol.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol. As much as I see that stuff happen on boosted boiz, and PFI SPEED, youd think Id of jumped right on that.
All my turbo inlet hoses and outlet hoses hadnt been touched for a year easily, but again, those were just off. Tuesday during radiator and condenser swap. Oh well. Live n learn.

·
Registered
1964 Deluxe, 2005 GLS 2014 Rline
322 Posts
It’s a guy wrenching feeling when those hoses come off. Good that no damage is caused

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For real. Just the way it felt made me jump to instant conclusions.
First of which was we had tge a/c on all day, and traction control was still on. So I thought maybe there was a software glitch whereas APR had issues, etc.
That, then turbo takin a dump went thru my head, but K04 only has maybe 15k on it, but who knows

Again, having never felt/experienced That happening before. I freaked. Lol
And having HER in the car with me only made it worse. Lol.

Reactions: pyro

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep. Coolant is rock steady at 195. No fluctuation at all. Even with a/c on, and beating in it. Never flinched.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Always fluctuating. If u beat on it for any length of time, it would go up, but come down decently. Now. Its like a rock.

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
NICE! :) That sounds like a SOLID upgrade and prep your cooling system; for a turbo upgrade, in the future? We had one guy, install a Mishimoto; on a older 1.8T New Beetle and he saw some temp numbers drop and it seemed to be a overall improvement. (y)❄❄😎⛄🏁

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the new a/c condenser helped alot too. Oem one was pretty beat up. Now I can see all the way thru all 3 coolers. Lol.

Plus a/c works way better too. We only got out exactly one pound of refrigerant. We put back in , a pound and smidget.

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
My brother, has a 2006 Chevy 2500 with a 6.6L Duramax; he was getting a bit hot, when pulling a trailer and going up hills. He decided, to upgrade his turbo impeller; add some improved turbo boost pipes and other mods, plus a mild trailer/tow remap.

We took all the "coolers" off; radiator, a/c condenser, trans cooler and finally the turbo intercooler. We were amazed, how most of them were clogged up with dirt and debris; he had the radiator, intercooler pressure tested, cleaned. We got them back for the radiator shop; they passed muster but he didn't clean them very well, externally, the coils were still clogged up. He found some external radiator/coil cleaner; they sell, for commercial hvac/ac units and it really helped clean all the junk out. Each "cooler" was cleaned with this stuff and you could see right through them all, on all areas of them! :) These trucks are pretty amazing; having all these things stacked up in front of each other. The post repair, seems to be a big improvement in power and cooling, is better, now that everything isn't clogged up with junk, restricting air flow. :)

CRC
FOAMING COIL CLEANER, 18 WT OZ
No. 03196 | Item# 1003453

At one point, I was experiencing; some definite turbo "heat soak" and was particularly bad, here in the summer, in New Mexico where, 100F+ temps are very common.

So, I removed my 1.8T intercooler and found, a decent amount of oil in it; I degreased it internally, cleaned the coils and it definitely, made a difference! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts