VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...so we have a 2003 Beetle 1.8 Turbo Automatic. Hard shift between 1-2, then seems to be fine. RPM's or load does not impact hard shift. I realize that there is likely a valve body issue that I need to take care of, but my question is...would it be worth servicing the transmission first since it likely has not been done in a while? Just checking. Also, any advice on where to fine the best rebuild for the best money? Last question...can I rebuild the valve body myself, I have worked on cars and tranny,s fro quite some time...just checking all my bases. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did the Valve body swap

You will be best off to have the valve body rebuilt, I ordered one from pacific coast transmissions, was $525 plus $100 core charge. Have read others with problems from them, but mine seems good. I have 04 beetle convertible, 09g 6 speed tiptronic transmission, 1.8turbo engine. I just did the swap, there are some good posts for this. I put a new filter and fluid in when I swapped out the valve body. Got about 5 quarts back in, kept track of how much I took out. I think you should let the professionals do the rebuild. I researched and most of the 02-07 tiptronics seem to have bad valve bodies that go out. I tried to get a local vw pro to do the valve body switch and he refused, so I did it myself. It was not too hard, I took my time, 7 hours from start to totally finished and new fluid warmed up and checked. The only thing I would add to any of the posts to do the job is that I needed a "triple-square" bit, I think 10mm to get the metal pan off the bottom of the engine.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Personally, I would drop the pan, change the filter, refill with correct fluid, and refill properly before doing hard parts. It doesn't cost much.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Any 09G 6 speed Tiptronic with 70k+ miles needs a valve body. The problems start small and infrequently and just get worse. A DIY swap is not so hard, search my user name for trans refill procedure.

A DIY cannot rebuild the valve body, there are a few spool valves that need to be replaced with oversize ones that requires the VB bore to be reamed and sometimes springs or solenoids have issues.

A DIY can change the valve body, it is not a hard job, just lots of wires and connectors that need to be kept organized. Take pictures and make notes. Only the perimeter bolts need to be removed in order to drop the valve body as I recall, 12 or so bolts once the pan is off.

This job can be done on ramps very easily. 3-4 hours is what I would expect, some may take it slower and be more cautions. I would say someone that has done a few of these VB swaps should be able to do the job in under 3 hours easily to include fluid refill. A pro should be able to do this in 2 hours or less.

I am the one that started the PC Trans link and recommended them. They have done an overall good job and have been helpful to folks here. Like anything, they may have had a few problem VB's but they seem to stand behind their work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hard shift/valve body

The vin number is 3vwcd21c43m440999...how can I be sure of the transmission? It is automatic, but I cannot find the tag or id code. Also, I have been unable to find a reasonable price for rebuilds? unless over 1000 is a reasonable price. Please advise.120k miles on vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts