1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!! LOL

2000 GLS 2.0 Automatic

Symptoms:

On a cold start, I have to crank it for about 5 seconds, 3-4 times before it will finally start.

Once started, I have to let it warm up a bit or it will stall.

Even once warmed up, I have to baby the gas or the car will stumble and stall or lay over.

Even at highway speed, if I push on the gas too far or fast, she will nose over.

When it rains or is damp, she will buck and stall....I assume that is the coil pack?

I changed out the fuel filter, but that did not help. Air filter is clean.

I took it for inspection....I knew it would fail because the CEL was on, but wanted them to run the scan anyway.

Here are the fault codes:

PO302: Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
PO303: Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
PO300: Random/Muliple Cylinder Misfire Detected
PO112: Intake Air Temperature Circuit Low Input
PO102: Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input

Where do I start???? Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I'd start with the misfires. If its worse in the rain like you say, I would definitely replace the coil pack. How many miles on the car? When were the spark plugs done last?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
125,000 miles and I have no idea when the plugs were changed. Just got car a few months ago. Has had all issues since I got it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
With both the intake air temperature and MAF codes it sounds like the engine was run at some point without the MAF sensor connected. They are both part of the same assembly and use the same connector. I'd check the MAF connector and reset the codes to see if it comes back.

Does the difficult starting get better or worse when the engine is warm? If better, suspect coil or ignition wires. If worse, it could be the engine speed sensor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once car gets hot, it won't start. Almost like it has vapor lock. If I let it cool or run water over the engine to cool. It will start up again. Once started sometimes it will run great. Other times it will miss like a molefreckle. Miss usually gets worse the hotter she gets.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
What all have you done since you last posted?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing yet. I'm trying to decide between replacing the coil pack or the engine speed sensor. I don't have enough to do both right now.

Thanks, Randy

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Since you have misfires and it gets worse in the rain, I would do the ignition coil. You can get one for around $100 and I'm pretty sure its pretty easy to replace yourself. I'm sure there is a how-to around here somewhere.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rain thing has only happened once despite driving in downpours multiple time. The get hot then no start happens every day...You still think coil pack?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Have you tried resetting the codes and seeing which ones return?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I reset the codes. it takes forever to get it started again. And once it does it runs like crap for awhile. The CEL comes back on immediately during the restart process.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Are you still getting the same exact codes?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Misfires caused by damp weather is likely caused by something in the ignition system. Coil pack and/or plug wires are the likely causes. This is true for just about any make and model of car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update.....

All these symptoms that seemed to point to an ignition issue. Problem ended up being the fuel pump was not supplying enough fuel pressure. Changed it out, now she runs like a champ!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Thanks for posting back again. It is nice to know what finally solved these problems.

So, did you replace the coil pack at some point? I was wondering if the P030x codes were caused by low fuel pressure or if you may have had two problems at the same time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts