NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem that has been on going for some time. My 1998 TDI takes 5 or more turns to start up. Had it in a shop, checked the injection pump, all was fine, did a pressure check, replaced injector, checked the fuel pump, did electrical check, and etc. Found nothing wrong. Even had a so called expert from VW come in. It has 156,000 miles, just breaking in. Is there some sort of fuel shutoff solonoid that could be the problem? Its seems to take longer starting when the engine is hot. Help. :confused:

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The fuel shutoff solenoid is on top of the injection pump. It has a single wire going to it. The fuel shutoff solenoid is seldom the problem. Sometimes the rubber O-ring that seals the fuel shutoff solenoid decomposes allowing air to leak in. Once the air is out of the pump, all looks normal.

The other possibility is the anti-shudder valve. The flap can sometimes get stuck in the closed position due to oil/soot build up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have the shop check the injection timing. retarded timing can cause this, or even make it impossible to start. The anti-shudder valve is also a good idea to check - it should move freely.

Get yourself over to www.tdiclub.com for "Real" TDI experts.

·
Stink Bug
8 Posts
I would bet it's the timing issue. Do you know anyone near you with VagCom? They could check the timing and adjust it for you. Should only take a few minutes. Cheers, J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts