VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've posted about this problem before but now there is something new or rather something I missed before.

Sometimes my '02 GLS will have a hard time starting. There does not seem to be a pattern to it. I can be running around, make a stop, go to start it up and it won't start. Sometimes it'll give me a hard time starting when I try it for the first time on a given day or it'll start up just fine.

After it gives me a hard time the engine light will come on and give me the following codes:

P0261 - Cylinder 1, injector circuit low
P0264 - Cylinder 2, injector circuit low
P0267 - Cylinder 3, injector circuit low
P0270 - Cylinder 4, injector circuit low

P0445 - Evaporative emissions system purge control valve circuit shorted.

P0037 - Heated oxygen sensor heater control circuit low. Bank 1, sensor 2.

P0416 - Secondary air injector relay A malfunction.

P1296 (a NB or a VW specific code). From what I have been able to find on the Web, P1296 means there is a problem with the coolant temperature sensor.

Now the new part: I noticed I am not hearing the fuel pump prime when I open the driver's door.

Given all of this, what could the problem possibly be? A fuel pump going bad? A bad fuel pump relay? A short somewhere? Something else?

Thanks!

Patrick

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
If it were me I would ensure that it is getting gas before addressing any other codes; the simple approach would be to replace the fuel pump and/or relay; which ever is easiest for you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After looking at various posts about similar problems I have come to the same conclusion. A long weekend is coming up so I'll be doing it then. First the relay as it costs less. I did find where the fuel pump can be accessed (I am so grateful VW designed an access point so the tank does not need to be removed!).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts