NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 NB with 102,000 miles on it. It is a manual transmission, and I have been having problems getting the shifter to drop down into reverse, being very hard to push. I have to use my whole body weight to push it down to engage the reverse gear. Other than than, the transmission and all other gears are working fine. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The boot is just clipped in at the bottom so you should be able to remove it and lift the boot up over the knob to inspect the shifter mechanism. Here is a diagram of what is under there:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Golf L4-2.0L (AEG) (1999) > Transmission and Drivetrain > Manual Transmission/Transaxle > Shifter M/T > Component Information > Service and Repair > Selector Mechanism Removing and Installing > Page 5829

It could be that the sleeve that the shift rod passes through is gummed up or there may be some foreign object in the mechanism that isn't letting the shift rod be pressed down.

So, the problem is just with pressing it down, not sliding it to the left? Does it shift easily through all the forward gears?

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
I have a similar problem, just not quiet as bad as yours sounds. I have no idea what the issue is yet, but if I put it in 1st gear then go to 2nd then go to reverse it will go as normal without having to use any extra force to get it in reverse. :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the other gears shift fine, and once you manage to get the shifter pushed down, actually putting into reverse is not an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts