NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Just thought i'd ask here and possibly save some time changing things that might not be broken, or help work out what order to tackle things.

I have a 2000 NB with about 50000 miles on it.

When starting from cold it is hard to start. About 5 seconds on the starter will get it going and it may run for a second or two and then cut out and require restarting. For the first few seconds of running it may sound like it's not running on all cylinders.

Once warm after a couple of minutes everything is fine and it starts right up.

• Plugs are wet with fuel when it doesn't start
  • Fuel pump can be heard priming.
  • Repeated priming does not make any difference
  • Spark plugs were a little dirty but are clean now
  • No codes are being thrown
  • Charging the battery up doesn't make a difference
  • Compression on all cylinders is around 200psi and all within about 4psi.
  • Everything seems normal when car is running. Engine feels strong and even slightly better than another Beetle I have

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it fixed!

MAF sensor looked totally clean but I sprayed it with lots of cleaner and the car has been starting just like my other Beetle for the past few days.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the whole bit of pipe out that contains it. Don't have the car running when doing it.

It's possiblt to just remove the sensor element if you have an appropriately shaped screwdriver for the 2 screws that hold it in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
MAF Sensor

Mikk, my 1999 2.0 gas is not starting. And when reading your thread saw that you cleaned the MAF sensor, what led you to it. Per Haynes VW manual it say to check resistance on 1 & 3 (of MAF)to check intake air temperature sensor. When cold (ambient of 50*F) is has a resistance of 3K ohms, about 1K higher than recomended. What checks can I make to determine a MAF problem? Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts