NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
NBie
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has thought of this but, being from Northern climes I was thinking that it might be cool to have a removeable hard top option for my NBC. I understand that this would require removal of the soft top frame etc and may ven require a semi / roadster conversion
( I've seen roadster conversions - very kewl!! )

Anyone out there have any ideas,experience or thoughts ( positive only please, don't need any negative input or opinons, I have enough of my own thank you! :)~ ) :)
Apologize in advance if there is a thread on this already - have been lurking in the styling/modifications section, but I'm a NBie and there's a lot of pages!
Peace!
.*/___\*.
(o\_I_/o)

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
No, I'm pretty sure you're the only one... :rolleyes:

Just kidding! :D

Not really the only one, though. I thought about a hardtop years ago, right after I got my '03 new. Even went as far as asking a good body shop guy about the feasibility of it. Suffice to say, taking out the existing top mechanism (ruining the car for all practical purposes) and designing, fabricating, and fitting a custom hardtop would be hella expensive, and with no assurance of a successful outcome. So I just filed away under the "What If" file, and thought someone would eventually come up with it in the aftermarket. The fact that no one has in almost a decade says volumes about the possibility... :mad:

·
NBie
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I'm pretty sure you're the only one... :rolleyes:

Just kidding! :D

Not really the only one, though. I thought about a hardtop years ago, right after I got my '03 new. Even went as far as asking a good body shop guy about the feasibility of it. Suffice to say, taking out the existing top mechanism (ruining the car for all practical purposes) and designing, fabricating, and fitting a custom hardtop would be hella expensive, and with no assurance of a successful outcome. So I just filed away under the "What If" file, and thought someone would eventually come up with it in the aftermarket. The fact that no one has in almost a decade says volumes about the possibility... :mad:
Well played - you got me there with the first line and big space....

Yeah I figured it would be a lot of work, but I've seen several roadster mods that must require removal of the top mechanism, so I figured if there was a place to ask about it this would be it.

Guess the point is the majority of NBC's are in climates that the roof stays down most of the time and a more hearty top is not required. Just thought it'd be pretty cool - Ragsterish even....
Oh well!

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Well, there was the vw ragster concept, but that was a one off to basically sneak peek the 06+ body style.

Also, the top is insulated. You really shouldn't have too big of a problem keeping warm in the winter unless you're low on coolant or have a bad heater core or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts