NewBeetle.org Forums banner

221 - 240 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Amazing!

Hi, I'm new around here and have been checking out all the photos of NB's. Yours is absolutely amazing! I was hoping you could send me a link to how you removed the rear interior panels. I'm in the mod process myself and that panel is giving me fits! I don't want to break all the clips getting it out. Should I remove the backseat first?
Again! Love Van Gogh, Love Stella! Those swirls are fabulous and stars are always cool! Very nice.
~B;)

·
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Hey thread... Long Time, No Post!

Let's just say that 2015 was a very long year, and poor Stella was neglected for most of it, sitting undriven most of the time. In about a year and a third, the poor girl only put on around 2000 miles, most of which was driving from virginia to florida and back. She spent some time in march with my dad and got a new A/C compressor installed, and shortly after that a new alternator (hooray for lifetime warranty and free replacement parts).

Began a project ages ago to fix up door panel armrests that had plastic welds breaking on the back so the vinyl fabric was coming off (literally falling off from the edges, not just coming loose in the middle) and causing the thin plastic part on the edge to crack on the passenger side one. Tried a few things to refurb the things that just didn't work. Between family stuff and the planned route 66 trip, the project just lingered on and on with no real solution that worked, so with State Inspection needed for the car and having no interior door panels while all this was being "done", started looking for armrest panels on ebay and found a set of the ones with the non-fabric armrests that stayed really cheap for most of the auction, so as a sort of early sort of christmas present, Ollie said to just get the panels to get the silly car inspectable. :D Of course, they had red tops on them so they needed a bit of modification (and cleaning, oof) before going in, but now she sure is styling! Always kind of wanted to paint the tops of my blue ones purple to match the console pieces... here was the perfect excuse to get purple tops :)

IMG_9913.jpg

So with those installed, we were thinking, yay! she can get inspected again... like anything is ever that easy. :crazy: With her sitting so much the battery was dead. Tried jumping it, which just didn't cut it so we took it out and had it charged at Advance.. They said it only took half a charge, which obviously didn't bode well.. It worked for a day or two, then was too low to start the car again (though a jump worked).. Figure that with sitting so much and the alternator crapping out earlier in the year the battery was probably shot and got her a new one as another christmas present. :rolleyes:

IMG_9912.jpg

So with that installed, we were thinking, yay! she can get inspected again... like anythingi s ever that easy. :crazy: Took her to get inspected before leaving to go to North Carolina for Christmas, and was told that her control arm bushing were bad, the upper strut mounts were bad, and her headlights were 'too hazed to let any light through' a bit of exaggeration, but they were in pretty rough shape.

IMG_9918.jpg

So as yet another christmas present, she got new control arms and strut mounts.. (and the aluminum power steering cap to match the rest of the set, to get up to the free shipping amount at ECS). And my present from my mom was to have them installed, the Brake Fluid changed, and all the hoses and things checked out to make sure everything was still in okay shape.. got that done and picked her back up yesterday. Tomorrow she goes for an alignment (yay for 3 year alignment package).

Also spent today fixing up the headlights. Mom got the 3m Headlight Restoration kit thing and put it in my stocking. :) Totally forgot to take a picture of them before i started, of course... but was impressed with how well it worked.

12442814_10205670623148477_1688966778_n.jpg

So.. now she should be ready for reinspection, finally!

Have plans for a few other things.. like painting and installing the new front valance\fog light grill that i got just before Roswell\Route 66... hopefully this week will see that done too.. fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
When I saw this thread revived, I was dreading looking at the new posts. But, now, I have a goal to attend Roswell! :party:

Thank you for the updates! I'm so glad to see Stella getting new bits! :)

·
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Some more work done getting Stella into fighting shape. I finally gathered the necessary parts to swap the center console for the 2006+ version. While doing that I figured it would be a good time to take care of my “vents blowing foam” issue and tackle the blend doors since half the parts would already be out.

Took out everything of the floor console and put it in the trash where it belongs. Lol. Then disassembled the lower dash pieces and gave them a good scrubbing. The poor glove box rubber gunk was soooooo sticky. It was gross. I thought I took more pictures of this whole process but I guess I didn’t. Used the “Method 2” version to avoid taking apart the upper dash as well as the lower. Other than a few bruised and scraped knuckles from pulling the cover piece out, it went pretty well. Used the adhesive foil tape to cover the flaps.

0-Blenddoor.jpg 1-Blenddoor2.jpg

While I had the dash disassembled I decided to make some repairs to those pieces. One of the vents in the radio console hasn’t worked properly since I got the car in ’07, so I replaced that, and fixed the broken\cracked screw points. In hindsight, I would do it a different way than I did. I used the steel-reinforced epoxy putty to rebuild the areas. After finishing that I had the idea that using liquid epoxy to attach a metal washer and then using a little bit of the putty stuff to make a flat surface under it may have been a better idea. Oh well, but it seems to be holding up for now.

3-CenterVentSM.jpg

4-RepairsRadioSM.jpg

5-RepairsLowerSM.jpg

When I took the floor console out, I discovered some interestingness around the shifter. It looked like someone had dumped some Raw Sugar in there. :eek: While doing some research to find out what this thing was called and if it could be replaced, I stumbled onto a youtube video that lead me to dieselgeek’s website and info on their “First Gear Getter”. It’s a hard plastic piece to replace what he likes to call the “Earwax” bushing, for the color\texture of the piece that was there. I think that thing has probably been trash for years. Never really gave a thought to how much loose side-to-side movement my shifter had in it, but it’s been like that for ages.

6-RawSugarSM2.jpg 7-FIGGsm.jpg
8-EbrakeFIGGsm.jpg

I also replaced the Ebrake Lever. Theoretically there can be modifications to the existing one to make it work for the 2006+ console, but found a new lever for about 15$ so just got the proper one. Good thing, too, cuz my dad ended up breaking the button off mine a little while ago so it would need to be replaced anyways (unless I wanted to continue to rely on the t20 screw he somehow used to “fix” it. Lol)

Having finally fixed all those problems, it was time to start on installing the new console. However. (It’s always something, isn’t it.) The monkeys at the parts place that took the tunnel cover piece out didn’t do it right and scratched the heck out of the curved section. Not sure how they managed it, but it had to have been the metal clips on the front of the floor console. Maybe they tried to lift it from the front instead of the back? Also thought I had a better picture of it, but this is the one the guy at the yard sent me.

9-TunnelScratchSM.jpg

Can only see 1 of the scratches, but it had them coming from both of those holes. Time to get creative!

10-Plaque1sm.jpg

11-TunnelPlaqueSM.jpg

She got herself a shiny name plaque. ☺

I also took the 12v Outlet out of the front of the ‘new’ console and replaced it with a 2 port USB outlet. This makes me very excited. Thought about just drilling a hole in the little plate the rear 12v Outlet is in and adding it in addition to the 2, but thought that would be a bit excessive, and also thought the front was a more convenient spot for it anyway. As a side note, I do believe those 12v Outlets were designed by Satan.

12-LighterOutSM.jpg

NOW we’re ready for the install at last!

14-ConsoleIn0sm.jpg

15-ConsoleIn3sm.jpg

Boy, getting the ebrake to go high enough to get the console in was an adventure in itself, but it’s finally in! (My little helper thought she was up to the task, though.)

16-BootInSM.jpg

·
Registered
11,211 Posts
Lots of work; you have been doing! I understand; the attempts to repair interior plastics! I tried to repair my original glove box door with jb weld and glue it back together. The second time around; I got another used broken glove box; with some jb weld and construction adhesive, I was able to repair it. After I got it all back together; I noticed a hairline crack on the front of it! Oh, well at least it is functional and works! These plastics get brittle and are pretty delicate after exposure to the sun!

I also rebuilt my shifter linkage with the DG parts; also, check your adjustable cable ends. The rubber crumbles and disintegrates. If that is a problem for you; check out the 42DD brass/aluminum inserts, they work great and will never need replaced again.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-shifter-bushing-set-mk4-5-6s-my02-05/

Congrats on completing lots of work and repairs; they all are such typical New Beetle issues! :)

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
I love you and Stella so much!!! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,283 Posts
STELLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! is looking awesome! Like that center console swap :bigthumb:

·
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Can't believe that was a year ago already. Feels like about 3 months. :eek:

Hmm.. I just realized I don't actually have a photo of the whole new console and dash reassembled. I'll have to fix that in a bit. If I had one before, the next bit would be a bit more exciting. :lol:

I am happy to report that a year after installing the rest of the console, and for the first time since I've owned her, Stella has a fully functioning ebrake cover :clap: When I got her she had a cover, but the silver button was missing, and I can't remember why, but that cover came off a number of years ago so she was bare-handled for quite a long time.

ebrake cover.jpg

In other news, when I went to the Pick-n-Pull to get that cover, I found the car it came from had seats that were in pretty awesome condition... other than the new dirt\grease from the engine someone decided to put in the back seat of the car. :mad:

08 Engine.jpg

But, since they were about $40 each, I decided to take the chance that they'd clean up okay and I'd be able to make them work in my car..

Carload.jpg

So home they came!

The passenger seat, which was the worse of the two in terms of greasy yuk, cleaned up pretty darn good. All that is left is a couple small spots on the back where you can see the barest ghost of engines past, and there was 1 tiny little (like 1/4") slit down towards the bottom.

08 Seat Passenger.jpg

Then came the fun of figuring out if I could actually put the seat into the car. :lol: For that, I'll just leave this link right here:

2008 Convertible Seats swap into 2001.0

Once I got all the technical issues apparently worked out, I decided to clean the carpet before bolting the seat back into it's final resting place.

BissellSpotClean.jpg

Got one of these gizmos last night and tried it out today with the Oxy Boost that came in the box. It worked reasonably well considering how dirty everything was to start, and that a lot of the spots were oil\grease. It says that the Oxy Boost stuff can continue to clean oxidizable stains for up to 8 hours, but I was thinking about going over the rear again later with some Dawn and then the concentrated Spot & Stain stuff as well.

01 Before.jpg

02 After.jpg

03 After-Front.jpg

04 After-Rear.jpg

05 TheGunk.jpg

·
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #236 (Edited)
Did do a second pass with the cleaner. Put some dawn on the black spots (should've diluted it, I realized as I was using the machine) and used the other kind of solution that came with the machine.. came out great!

06 After v2.jpg

07 After-Rear v2.jpg

08 TheGunk v2.jpg

Pretty sure quite a bit of that is rust juice :(

But, here's the interior with the new console and such. The purple looks much better when the sun's actually out.. It looks less like black and has sparkles.

InteriorD 2017.08.25.jpg

InteriorP 2017.08.25.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
So nice to see new, clean pics! I am also so very happy you still have your NB!! :heart:

·
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
So nice to see new, clean pics! I am also so very happy you still have your NB!! :heart:
The old girl is still hanging in there. :p :D She's definitely got her issues, but slowly taking care of them. Of course, the ones that are coming up will be bigger projects. Think she's going to need a new clutch in the next six months, year at most. :eek:hnoes:

Anyways, on to more pictures!

Worked on replacing the driver's side seat this weekend, so tackled the carpet on that side too. Definitely in worse shape than the passenger side, not surprisingly.

d01 Before.jpg

Did a first pass with the cleaner on Sunday night. Pretty much as expected, not everything came clean, so left some solution on the tough spots and let it sit overnight, since it was getting dark as I cleaned.

d02 After-Front.jpg d03 After-Rear.jpg

Did a second pass on Monday, and it definitely came much cleaner. The spot that looks worst is right under where the heel goes when driving and is more worn than stained, showing the black backer material of the carpet through the fibers.

d04 After-Rear v2-D.jpg

And both the new seats are in and looking so purdy! :D

New Seats.jpg

·
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #240 (Edited)
Well, came back to update with recent stuff and was re-reading the last few posts. my "need a new clutch within 6 months, a year at most" ended up being about 2 years. :rolleyes: But I'll talk more about that in my next post after this one.

This post is about wheels.

Stella has had another busy few weeks, though this project has been at least 7 months in the making (not counting the actual collecting of the rims). I started stripping clear coat and paint from the wheels around Christmas at my Mom’s house in Florida. With all the bopping around I’ve been doing, it took quite awhile to get a good chunk of time to work on them more… plus discovered that one of the ones I was working on had a flat spot on the inside edge area of the rim I hadn’t noticed, so all the stripping I did on the face of that one was wasted. Ah well. At least I had more rims than needed.

A month or so ago I discovered just how bad the back tires on my car were getting, with the metal belts starting to show on the inside edge of driver's side and getting close on the inside of the passenger side, and I knew it was time to make a push to get the rims done and cash in on my Christmas+Birthday present from my mom (tires for the new rims). Different size than the stock 16” rims I had on the car, so couldn’t just get them put on the ones I had temporarily.

Was stripping the wheels instead of just blasting them clean in order to try preserving the Machined face on them, but in the end that was a bit futile because of how scratched they were, (probably some added while transporting them up and down between VA, FL, and NC but they were still pretty rough to begin with. Ended up wire brushing them quite a bit in the end. Probably would’ve saved a lot of time (and a bunch chemical stripper) if I had blasted and then polished the faces up, but oh well.

01Outside.JPG

When I got to the inside, I had been thinking to just sand them to clean them up, but noticed in some stripper run-off area from the front that the whole inside (except the little indents on the spokes) were machined as well, and thought that would look really cool left exposed, so stripped all that paint off as well.. thankfully a lot easier than it was to do the face and inserts so it didn’t take too long.

02Inside.JPG

All Clean! (one wheel I worked on in florida was already taped and was working on 2 others at my sister’s house..which became 3 because of the flat spot found on the one rim.

03Three.JPG

Each rim took about 3 hours to tape. At least this part could be done inside, away from the heat and all the rain we got daily during the week I was trying to get them done that was making it difficult to work on stripping them outside.

04TapedSM.jpg

(Probably didn’t end up saving much tape using the newspaper on inside, but it definitely made it easier to peel everything off.)

05TapedQuad.JPG

Primer sprayed on the parts getting paint. Ended up doing what I originally thought to do for the inside of the rim on most of the outside part under the tire. It got pretty schmooey (a very technical term) during the stripping process, so cleaned it up and just painted over it to make it look better even though wouldn’t really ever be seen.

06Primer1.JPG

Purple Paint! A Volkswagen stock color for other cars "Violet Touch". It's a different color than the purple I'd used previously, because for some reason that one had about quadrupled in price since I originally bought it.

07Purple1.JPG

A layer of clear coat with purple holographic flake added.

08PurpleSparkle.JPG

Until this point, nothing was getting painted on the lip of the rims, so it didn’t really matter how I maneuvered them around to get the paint on, but for the rest of the process, the rims wouldn’t be able to sit on the lips while being sprayed, so I had to come up with something to keep them off edge. Created this contraption from stuff I found in my sister’s garage. Lol. Made one and tested it out, then realized I could put 2 in my “spray booth” at a time, so made a second. After putting the clear on those, realized I wouldn’t be able to take them off the contraptions for awhile so made 2 more. :lol: A little logical thought and I probably would’ve realized all of this sooner. :rolleyes:

09Contraption.JPG

The “spray booth”.. a dryer box that my niece had previously used as a box fort in her bedroom. She wanted it out of her bedroom so I told her I was going to paint in it. I don’t think she quite understood because she seemed to think I was going to paint pretty stuff on the inside the box, not use it to paint other things. Oops.

10Booth.JPG

Had silver-to-rainbow holographic flake to spray the aluminum parts of the wheels and didn’t want to get it all over the purple parts (it doesn’t look bad that way, just not what I was going for), so made some cardboard shields to keep it off for the most part, without having to tape all kinds of stuff again.

11InsertMask.JPG

Sparkle isn’t easy to photograph. Lol

12Sparkle.JPG

On the way to get tires put on, finally. One day will paint the little “bolts” silver\aluminum again.. just really needed to get them to a useable point ASAP.

13OnWay.JPG

Definitely not “perfect” but I still like them.

14OnWay2.JPG

Hooray for tires that don’t look like they might explode at any moment! (and an alignment, but there isn’t really much that can be done with the back, apparently)

15Installed.JPG

221 - 240 of 243 Posts
About this Discussion
242 Replies
44 Participants
HarlequinPixie
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing