NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2000 2.0. Sat for awhile. But i did some work on it and reinstalled the alternator, all of the air box from the MAF up to thottle body After cleaning it all. It ran great after i put a hot battery on it. Ran beautifully, then all the sudden it started a miss at idle and when i take off it spudders when i accelerate. If i back ofF or clutch in a little, it will clear up. And my secondary air pump doesn't have the fatory hose on it but it does have a hose from it to the air box. What is causing the misfire and the hesitation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't took it to Oreillys yet. Sliced my thumb open yesterday, fixing the door panel. But ill try to get up there today. Or is there a way to pull the codes myself? I don't have a code reader. On my Nissan i could adjust the ecm and count the blinks

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
You need a code reader to pull codes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know if this will help but it sounds like something mine was doing, there's a 2 pin censor where the cooling lines intersect, I replaced mine and the rough idle cleared up and it has run like new ever since. Mine is a 2004 so that might be something you can try. Censor wasn't much and apparently it can make alot of things act weird from what I'm told.mine wouldn't idle right when it cranked also and that cleared right up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a 2000 2.0. Sat for awhile. But i did some work on it and reinstalled the alternator, all of the air box from the MAF up to thottle body After cleaning it all. It ran great after i put a hot battery on it. Ran beautifully, then all the sudden it started a miss at idle and when i take off it spudders when i accelerate. If i back ofF or clutch in a little, it will clear up. And my secondary air pump doesn't have the fatory hose on it but it does have a hose from it to the air box. What is causing the misfire and the hesitation.
Cooling lines. Just to be clear. Are you talking about the a.c. lines or what? Im just drawing a blake right now.lol. thanks for the help if i find it i will replace it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jimmy Jam6870 ????
Cooling lines. Just to be clear. Are you talking about the a.c. lines or what? Im just drawing a blake right now.lol. thanks for the help if i find it i will replace it
Cooling lines. Just to be clear. Are you talking about the a.c. lines or is it that sensor on the a.c. line right behind the radiator feel jug on front passenger side. Im tryin to find what you are talking about. So i can replace it also. I have a 2000 2.0 beetle and all the symptoms you had , i have. But mine will sometime sputter at take off and going into second; if i accellerate slow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Robert, it was in the cooling line that is right at the front of the engine .I believe it's at where the lines intersect like a t. I'll take s picture of it tomorrow and I may still have the box the part came in and be able to give you the name of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's a screenshot of the part. I looked up thermal switch but advance has it listed at temperature switch I think. Anyway I replaced this on mine and my rough idle cleared up. I no it sounds weird but it cleared up and has been running great for over a month now. Seem like I saw something on this site that made me try it.iv read this censor for some reason can cause other censors to act funny . Hope it works for you like it did for me.very easy to remove from coolant hose. I would take yours with you just to make sure u get the right one.advance had to order mine and O'Reilly's didn't even carry it.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey JimmyJam6870. I can only find the sensor that is on the a.c. line. And its a 3 prong plug. I looked on the front side of engine ( passenger side). And unless I've overlooked it, i didn't see one at the front of engine bay neither. Maybe im looking to hard.my coolant lines run up the passenger side and my radiator hoses run in the front. (Front of hood). Its a 2.0 with secondary air pump. 5speed. Has a plastic conection ( tree of four hoses). Heater and radiator hoses go to it. What am i missing. Helllp. Lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope. Not the same. I think mine is on the lower driver side of radiator. Close to drain plug.but im still gonna try it.it still might work

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Mr. Jimmy Jam6870,, i found it yoooo whooooo.lol. on the 2000 2.0 non turbo: it's on the lower driver side of radiator. Above the drain and beside the fan plug ins. Thanks and will let you know my out come🤠

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry about that. Ive been painting a house by day and working by night. Loose track of time like that.
But yea it helped a little. I took it to Oreillys and put it on there code reader. It said : miss on number 4 cylinder, evap leak and o2 sensor. And if i can find the vacuum leak, i think it would solve all my trouble. Well all but them bushings for my shifter. But im fixin to get those. I think i might be wanting to sell my other engine. I was looking up the price (for the amount of mileage on engine). And they had some with 87000 miles on the engine, priced at $1,225.00 and higher. And mine only has 73000 miles on it. Priced at $ 1,300. So i think i might sell it for around $900.
What do you think about that price for a 2.0 L?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts