VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
turbo s lightly modded
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving last night when I started feeling vibration. Pretty quickly it developed into knocking so I pulled over and had it towed. Towed it to my mechanics and found out my lug nuts had on the driver side front wheel had come loose and I actually lost one of them. My mechanics said this is very unusual and he suspected someone had tried to steal my rims or sabotage my car. What do you guys think? Has anyone else had this happen? I had suspension work done 3 weeks ago but my mechanic assures me he used a torque wrench on the lugs.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
Not something that should happen if they are properly torqued.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
lug nuts

We are not lug nuts :D . I have never heard of folks losing their lug nuts off the wheels unless someone left them lose to begin with or like the mechanic said intentional.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Your garage probably snugged them down, and forgot to torque that wheel. No one that is stealing wheels loosens all the bolts, but leaves them in place.

·
Registered
423 Posts
This happened to me. I never tried to take my wheel off or had anyone else and they slowly started coming loose. My wheels hadn't been off probably 2 years before the issue. Nobody could have messed with them since every bolt requires a key. Tightend them properly and haven't had any issues since june.

·
turbo s lightly modded
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea my shop said they're sure they torqued them down and by the way they told me I believe them. They also pointed out that it had been 3 weeks since they had removed the wheels and as hard as I drive the car it's hard to believe they held on that long before coming loose if it was them leaving them hand tightened. Thank you for all your replys everyone. Much appreciated. I hear you guys that it's not something that just happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm new here but just wanted to add, a lot of people are unaware that lug nuts don't have to be gorilla torqued like a lot of people do. You know, you can't break them loose with a tire iron when you want to change a tire. They only need to be snugged a little bit past finger tight to do their job and they will not come off. If they are loose or missing, someone either completely forgot that particular wheel or attempted to steal it. Either way, you would probably know that immediately the first time you drive it, either right after the steal attempt or right after you left a shop. If they were all finger snug but not tightened, I can believe that it might take two to three weeks to get like they were when you discovered the problem. My two cents.

·
turbo s lightly modded
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the reply. Yeah I've come to the conclusion someone loosened the lugs, for what reason I'm not sure. I ordered a aftermarket alarm with pager remote Hopefully that solves the prob.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts