VW Beetle Forum banner

Has my ECM died?

5K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Devil 
#1 ·
My 2001 beetle won't start!!
It turns over fine but doesn't even try to start. As soon as I turn the ignition on all my dash lights start going crazy (flashing on/off, incl. airbag and MIL) accompanied by annoying beeping.I tried my scan tool but it won't communicate with the ECM but it communicates with ABS, etc.Does that mean I need to replace the ECM? If so where exactly is it at?
Thanks.

#2 ·
Hey, it looks like you have a original thread, we are working with you on already; please keep any additional questions/responses to your troubleshooting process there, so we can keep track of everything going on with your particular situation and keep everything in context, etc. Thanks.

#6 ·
Always, look up vw trouble codes; on the ross tech wiki:

3 Faults Found:

01314 - Engine Control Module 49-00 - No Communications

01316 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs 49-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

01321 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs 49-00 - Please Register/Activate

#8 ·
I finally got around to replacing the ECM. Car started immediately but then died right away and the pic on the dash that I am using an unauthorized key is flashing yellow. I got the ECM used so I assume the keys that worked with my old ECU are no longer programmed correctly. So what can I do ? which part needs to be re-programmed? The ECU or the keys?
My guess is the ECU since it shows a wrong vin. I also got fault code 17987 - Starting blocked by immobilizer.
Please do not say that I either have to take it to the dealership or that I need to buy a $500 scan code reader
Thanks

#11 ·
No dealers don’t do that. You pull the ecu and ship it off. Here’s one choice , a bit more than $100 but not a lot.

Here’s another option.

Both of these vendors are reputable.

If you decide to go this route you will have to remove the cluster (very easy to do) and put a piece of electric tape over the immo light because it will keep flashing all the time. It’s very annoying, my daughter has been driving her bug with the immo light covered for two years now, she doesn’t even know it’s always on.

#13 ·
That is the reason it won’t work now. There is a small chip in each key that was matched to your old ecu , because you switched the ecu that is no longer true and that’s why the car shuts off. Deleting the immo tells the ecu to ignore the chip and allow the car to start and run.

It’s a theft prevention measure, however no one is likely to steal an 18-19 year old car and if it’s a 5 spd stick no one can anyway.

#14 ·
You can program the new keys to the car using software. You can rent cables from sidewinderkey or tunemyeuro. Sidewinderkey has a lot of good information too on the immobilizer system and how it works.

Another option for immo defeat is Reflect Tuning. I know the guy who runs it and he's good. Pretty sure its less than $100 as well.

#15 ·
The stick shift thing is funny but oh so true. I also read somewhere that you can take the center chip from the original ecu and solder it into the replacement with the same number. Is that possible?
Mine is a 06A 906 018 ER.
All I am trying to do is get the car running so I can sell it. Got myself a 2003 convertible Turbo instead. Love it.

#16 ·
A friend of mine has perfected moving the chips (RIFD) around from one key to another to keep the ECU happy. They are a small glass tube that is glued inside the key body. I think he uses acetone to melt the glue. Here is one of the funniest threads but its all centered around those little chips, so you should be able to gain some insight about them and be entertained besides.

#17 ·
I was actually referring to the chip for the ecu. I looked at several videos. They all say it's an 8 legged chip and it seems like there is only one of those on their board but I have three and I can't figure out which one it is. I have attached a couple of pics. One from the top and 1 from the bottom. I hope one of you guys knows which one the right one is....

#19 ·
Why not, It already doesn't work so I can't make it any worse. Btw, I don't know why the pics don't show so I will upload them again. I am sure somebody will know which chip it is.
Electronics Motherboard Technology Electronic device Computer hardware
Electronic engineering Computer hardware Circuit component Electronic component Motherboard

I believe it is the second on in pic 2 but I would like for somebody to confirm that. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.