NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure a lot of you have had this problem before. I was closing the rear hatch last night and found that it would not stay closed. I have had to close it one or two times before, but this time it just won't stay closed. Can anyone shed some light on what might have broken or what they have fixed?

·
Car has another home
111 Posts
My '01 Sport does that sometimes, usually when its cold outside.
I have found that if you put your key in the hatch lock and turn it to the left,then back again, it will close after that.
I finally removed the hatch cover and sprayed a lubricant on the moving pieces (don't use WD40, it won't last)and I stopped having the trouble......So far!

·
Beetle driver since '73
60 Posts
Our 2000 NB GLS did that on/off for a few years, until we finally had to have the rear latch replaced. It was starting to mess up the security alarm system.

The key trick worked for awhile.

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
Mine did that too. I took off the plastic panel (where the grab handles are located) and lubed the hatch mechanism and the locking plate/recieving mechanism well with silicone spray and white lithium grease. I have not had problems since then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, for the responses. The key method got me closed again. I guess I have to remove the panel and "lube" the mechanism.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
here is another option for those of you whose hatch wont latch.

an old thread I created on the old forums. basically you remove the springs from the bottom of the latch area (not on the hatch, but on the car)

follow this link

I did this on my 99 NB eeyore and never had another problem as long as I owned him. there are also a couple of other suggestions on fixing this issue on that same thread as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Rear hatch adjustments.

As the temperature changes, the rear hatch and the opening get larger and smaller. If the rear hatch will not latch, try loosening and moving the two black adjustment blocks at each lower side of the hatch opening down about 2 or so mm.'s. This allows the rear hatch to travel further down into the latch mechanism and lock. The hatch should be adjusted so there is very little movement up and down when hatch is closed and pushed on. Good Luck, JK

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
karmann72 said:
I'm sure a lot of you have had this problem before. I was closing the rear hatch last night and found that it would not stay closed. I have had to close it one or two times before, but this time it just won't stay closed. Can anyone shed some light on what might have broken or what they have fixed?
I recently had this problem. The problem in my case was that piece #3 would crack open when I hit the power trunk release. The trunk would open but piece #2 would stay extended causing piece #1 to keep the latching mechanism open thus being unable to latch on closing. Since none of my keys actually open the trunk(didn't know this when I purchased my bug) I have to use the remote or the trunk release button on the driverside door to open the trunk. Well my easy fix was Zip tieing piece #3 so it doesn't crack open when I use the pop the trunk.

Attachments

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
EXCELLENT PICTURE!

I remember this as a fix someone came up with on the old forums
you might also put a zip=tie on the white cylinder part of #3 near where #2 connects. they tend to split there as well.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Its been raining the past two days, which is unheard of in Arizona.

Now BBs hatch will not close. ARGH. I will try the ideas from these links. Thanks for the help and wish me luck. :eek:

This is my first PITA issue I have had, so I wont be tooo mad at BB, I dont like this cold rain either :rolleyes:

UPDATE, I followed Aarons suggestion on placing the key in the lock and closing it, it works, just does not seem sealed, I will investigate later :)

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
After having to hatch bounce back up a few times, I came on org and found this thread. I did what Aaron mentioned, used my key to close it... then after doing that a couple times, everything went back to normally, no need to fix anything... must have just been the rain (because it NEVER really rains here)

So not really an issue.... woot woot!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Slug said:
My '01 Sport does that sometimes, usually when its cold outside.
I have found that if you put your key in the hatch lock and turn it to the left,then back again, it will close after that.
i'am doing the same thing everytime it's raining too... :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
You Da' Man

Crazy_MoFo said:
I recently had this problem. The problem in my case was that piece #3 would crack open when I hit the power trunk release. The trunk would open but piece #2 would stay extended causing piece #1 to keep the latching mechanism open thus being unable to latch on closing. Since none of my keys actually open the trunk(didn't know this when I purchased my bug) I have to use the remote or the trunk release button on the driverside door to open the trunk. Well my easy fix was Zip tieing piece #3 so it doesn't crack open when I use the pop the trunk.
I tried the zip tie and booyah, worked like a charm. Great post thanks,
Raydaz

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
Crazy_MoFo said:
10,000 Cyber Green Points to Crazy_MoFo!

I had this problem this morning.... read this... tied it and now it works like a charm.

The ORG IS THE BEST. THE ORG ROCKS!!!

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I never ended up having any issues again (knock on new beetle) with the hatch... just that one day for a couple hours... it must have been the moisture (which we never have here in Arizona) Anywho.. I printed out this thread and have it in my trunk if it ever happens again :rolleyes: :D

Seriously, my beetle is so solid, I just :heart: her. VW forever :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello !!!

Just to say thanks so much to the great people here once again. :)

Had the hatch won't latch problem this afternoon and wondered how I could fix it. Then tried the Org, found this thread with the key trick and works like a charm again. My guess is since it rains almost every day here since beginning of summer, it must be the cause.

Anyway, just to say that you guys are the best. From an old-timer.

Merci beaucoup !

Nounours (and 2002 Nounoursmobile)

·
Registered
62 Posts
What a great thread and tip [key in lock solution].

What I want to know: what happens with the key in the lock [turn left] so that the trunk hatch will latch?

Obviously turning the key left moves something, but what?

--Sheryl

·
Registered
129 Posts
haha~ I had an issue with my latch this morning..... lubed it.....now it's fine!! THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dance2:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Same happens to me... Well, hatch is locking, but in "not sealed" position, so it's not all the way down.
I'll try to lube it tomorrow. Hope will be all good.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts