NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bug Lover
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I've posted. I recently totaled my baby :(, and I shopping for another. I am very hesitate to pull the trigger. I drove an '01 1.8t that appears to be almost perfect, but whilst shifting into 1st, I must push down. (the seller tells me you get used to it-I don't want to get used to it!!) Then shifting into 2nd is a bit tough as well. All other gears were smooth. I know these trannies are virtually bulletproof so this possibly be a linkage issue? I am going to have my mechanic inspect the car, but I hate to drop the $150 just to have him say $$$ for repair, but rather the $150 than $$$. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
vicki

·
Mom, Wife, Lover of VW's
186 Posts
That's not normal, pressing down on the shifter to go into reverse on a manual is normal. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
I am suspecting that the shifter bushings are shot necessitating the pushing down to get it in gear.

There are part numbers for the bushings, they are about 3 bucks apiece from ECS tuning

·
Bug Lover
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of your responses. Although that car was my top contender in the hunt for my "new" NB and this issue may be an easy/inexpensive fix, I am hesitant to pull the trigger. I got burned driving my last NB home right after purchase so I am trying to be extra careful this time around. If this one thing is something that was gotten used to, what else is lurking that is not normal but became so to the PO?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts