NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm excited about next weekend. Not only is Saturday my Mother's 60th birthday, but Sunday I'm driving to Massachusetts to get a custom fiberglass sub enclosure built for our Beetle. I had planned to install a system in the Bug anyway, but I found out about a company that was planning to start building custom sub enclosures for New beetles, and they picked our Beetle as their test vehicle.

I'll post some pictures below of approximately what the enclosure will look like. I think I'm only going to have it built with 2 subs in it (since I only have 2 at the moment), but they told me they could build it with a spot for a third sub and just close it off until I purchase another.

Let me know what you think, and you can let me know if there is enough interest on out there for these guys to start building more for the New Beetle.:D

These enclosures were built by another company, but this is an example of what they can do.:D

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Those are pics of TVA's car, when they did a joint veture with audiobahn, and they did a killer install. Not only in the trunk, but they did some fiberglass work on the door panels, and added a video screen in a second speedo pod on the passenger side.

Enough about TVA's bug, please post pics when you get this done, i love seeing custom trunk work in bugs.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Hey now, there's nothing wrong with Audiobahn. they're perfect for me. I dont listen to the radio or cd's much anymore, and to invest in something more expensive would be a waste of money and resources....lol. since I added my new cd player and hooked them up to the crossovers, I've had pure enjoyment out of them....

Show us some pics when you're done with the install...:D

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toad said:
Those are pics of TVA's car, when they did a joint veture with audiobahn, and they did a killer install.
I knew I had seen the install somewhere else, but I couldn't remember where. The bright orange color and the altezzas should have been a dead give away.

I'm pretty excited to have the enclosure built, and I plan to have it sprayed white to match the Beetle itself. I'll be sure to post some pictures of the finished process. I'll be too anxious not to share it with my fellow Newbies!!!:D

For now I have a pair of 12" Pioneer Diamondplate subs and a 1200 watt MA Audio amp, but later I want to switch to some JL subs, hence why I've considered having 3 subs in the back.

What do you think? Should I go with a 2 or a 3 sub setup and run them all off the same 1200 watt amp?:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I saw a similar install, but the "bubble dome" took over the back seat. a Local GA audio shop owner somehow came up with the (I think) 6 speaker solution. It was painted cool white, like the car, and was sharp. I saw it at Bug-a-paluza 7, I'll see if I have pics at home.

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have some minor bad news. The build of my sub enclosure has to be delayed a week because the brakes on the Beetle need to be replaced. They are grinding like crazy, so I guess it's time for some new rotors and pads. I'm going the weekend of the 18th now instead, so it's still on like Donkey Kong Bi'atch!! I'll keep you all posted.

·
Audiophile
74 Posts
n2vdubz said:
I knew I had seen the install somewhere else, but I couldn't remember where. The bright orange color and the altezzas should have been a dead give away.

I'm pretty excited to have the enclosure built, and I plan to have it sprayed white to match the Beetle itself. I'll be sure to post some pictures of the finished process. I'll be too anxious not to share it with my fellow Newbies!!!:D

For now I have a pair of 12" Pioneer Diamondplate subs and a 1200 watt MA Audio amp, but later I want to switch to some JL subs, hence why I've considered having 3 subs in the back.

What do you think? Should I go with a 2 or a 3 sub setup and run them all off the same 1200 watt amp?:confused:

you could run 3 1200 rms watt amps :girlfight :girlfight :girlfight

talk to me abit before you decide on the subs

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Preston said:
you could run 3 1200 rms watt amps :girlfight :girlfight :girlfight

talk to me abit before you decide on the subs
Do you think it would be best to just run 2 12"s off of the 1200 watt amp, or would it be too much to have the amp power 3 12" subs. I have 2 older Pioneer Diamondplate subs at the moment, but would probably switch to 3 JL 12"s if I had the box built for 3.

What do you think would work, look, and sound best?

·
Audiophile
74 Posts
well if your set on running jl's you could run three w6v2's or w3v2's, whats the volume on that box? because the more volume the lower the powerhandling, the 12 w6's are recomended for 1.25 ft2

personally if i were you i'd run IDMAX's which sound just as good (w6's are amazing sounding woofers) as w6's and get louder with the same power, they can also handle more and you can get them for cheaper most the time. im thinking of unloading my unused w6v2 to get one. let me know what you think

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the big day to drive to Massachusetts is this Sunday. Hopefully the weather isn't horrible like it is today here in Maine. We've got snow at the moment, and they predict freezing rain later tonight.

We just had the brakes done, and snow tires installed so hopefully the drive won't be a bad one.

I'll keep you updated with some pictures and info as soon as I get the box in. I'm majorly excited to finally have some bump in the Bug!!:D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Where in Mass did you get your car done? I go to a place in my hometown that usually deals with customers with Bentleys, Lamborghinis, and Escalades, and has won lots of awards. They built me a sweet system for a reasonable amount of money.

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The guy I'm going through lives in Carver, Mass. He's been doing custom fiberglass and wooden sub boxes for a few years, and he has done alot of work with fiberglass speaker kick panels and other custom parts. He has a website he just started, and he's trying to get his name out so he hooked me up on everything. His prices aren't steep, and his quality of work is nice and clean.

This Sunday he took some molds of my trunk panels, and he's going to be working on building the box over the next couple of weeks. We even have plans for a tv monitor in the rear trunk panel so you'll see it when it's open.

I'll keep you all updated on the project and will hopefully have some pictures up soon.

By the way EVZBUG, do you have any pictures of your system? I would love to see it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts