NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Unlimited Reality Designs
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is my deal. the last week my car has lost power. i dont know what happend but it just lost some power but the gas is alot better now. i dont know why. and when i got the ac on the car acts like it doesnt want to move at all. now onto the major prob

i got an auto 2.0. when im on a hill the car slips out of gear and rolls back then catches itself again. now it only does this when i give it gas on a hill. if i let it set there without touching the breaks or gas its fine. and sometimes when i come to a complete stop and give it gas it revs high then drops back into gear and chirps the tires. it also does this when i go into reverse and then into drive. it revs and luanches itself.

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Woah, sounds pretty crazy.

Part of the problem sounds like the Automatic tranny might be going up or the clutch is slipping (seems odd for an automatic).

This probably isn't likely, but it also seems like the when the car is engaged in a drive, the transmission is stuck in neutral/drive position, which is causing it to drive but rev when you start cause it is not catching properly.

These are just some of my thoughts...How many miles are on the car?

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VW2.0Driver said:
Woah, sounds pretty crazy.

Part of the problem sounds like the Automatic tranny might be going up or the clutch is slipping (seems odd for an automatic).

This probably isn't likely, but it also seems like the when the car is engaged in a drive, the transmission is stuck in neutral/drive position, which is causing it to drive but rev when you start cause it is not catching properly.

These are just some of my thoughts...How many miles are on the car?

i have 54k on it. i dont drive it hard at all. and i also thought it might be slipping. i was told it might just be the throttle cable. but when i take it to the dealer they say its fine. but told me they can take a look at it for 200 dollars. and if they find a problem then they will fix it. for that price im not going to take it to them at all. and for some reason im not getting email notifications.

·
Still bugging
91 Posts
transmission

angelusnhc said:
i have 54k on it. i dont drive it hard at all. and i also thought it might be slipping. i was told it might just be the throttle cable. but when i take it to the dealer they say its fine. but told me they can take a look at it for 200 dollars. and if they find a problem then they will fix it. for that price im not going to take it to them at all. and for some reason im not getting email notifications.
im not an expert so i dont know but isnt the auto trans a learning trans (like it adjust to the way the driver drives the car). do you let anyone else drive it? i think somebody else had that problem. just a guess

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes it is an auto tran. i got the dealer to reset it for me. im the second owner of the car. the first owner was a lady that took really good care of it. so the car is still in the learning mode. but it scares me that it seems like the transmission is slipping. and no one drives it but me.

is there anyone that is close to me that can hook it up to a vacom and check it out for me?

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
angelusnhc said:
is there anyone that is close to me that can hook it up to a vacom and check it out for me?

It doesn't look like anyone in GA has signed up on the Vag-Com Sharing thread yet. Keep an eye on it though because the forums are pretty new still and those that have a Vag-Com might not have found it yet.

Good luck! :wave:

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i still need some help. i noticed today when i go in revearse i got to give it a good bit of gas just to get it to move.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
just curious, when you go into reverse or drive do you ever wait for the gear to engage before stepping on the accelerator pedal?

i had my trans replaced at 48k becaue the trans took far too long to engage into gear. i am now at 59k two years later... eep!

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes i have to wait for it to engage. sometimes even after i come to a full stop it still takes a lil bit for it to kick into gear.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
I don't know where lake park is.... but I'm up in Cartersville. I'll scan it for you if you want. :)

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Porkchop said:
I don't know where lake park is.... but I'm up in Cartersville. I'll scan it for you if you want. :)

lakepark is 15 mins from valdosta ga, about an hour south tifton and and hour north of perry florida. are you anywhere close to that?

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
angelusnhc said:
lakepark is 15 mins from valdosta ga, about an hour south tifton and and hour north of perry florida. are you anywhere close to that?
Nope.. I'm metro Atlanta... there's lots of folks in Jacksonville (who might have a VAG-COM) - that'd be a little closer.

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok here is an update. im leaving school today and i put it into drive and it just sits there. so i give it gas and it just revs up. and im looking to make sure its in drive and not neutral. so i give it gas and it wont go. then about 30 seconds after i started it. it went into gear and moved forward. then when i was pulling out of the school which is a few feet from where i was the car went out of gear while i was driving. and i couldnt get it to go back in. so i had to put it in neutral and back into drive to get it back into gear. and this was when i was driving. can anyone solve this problem for me.

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
angelusnhc said:
ok here is an update. im leaving school today and i put it into drive and it just sits there. so i give it gas and it just revs up. and im looking to make sure its in drive and not neutral. so i give it gas and it wont go. then about 30 seconds after i started it. it went into gear and moved forward. then when i was pulling out of the school which is a few feet from where i was the car went out of gear while i was driving. and i couldnt get it to go back in. so i had to put it in neutral and back into drive to get it back into gear. and this was when i was driving. can anyone solve this problem for me.

Definitely sounds like the transmission is on the verge of giving up the ghost.

I thought, and someone correct me if I am wrong, one of the early signs that the trans is dying is that it takes longer and longer for it to engage after putting it in drive.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
dgoldbe2 said:
Definitely sounds like the transmission is on the verge of giving up the ghost.

I thought, and someone correct me if I am wrong, one of the early signs that the trans is dying is that it takes longer and longer for it to engage after putting it in drive.
Another possibility is it just needs a TV cable adjustment... I would check that before replacing the transmission. Maybe it is just far enough off that sometimes it is engaged and sometimes it isn't?

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
is the tv cable something i can do myself and where is it located at. any info i can get about this can help. i know a few ppl who are machanics i will ask to do the job for me. bc the dealer here will kill me on money and also i just paid 468.00 for books so im running low on cash.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts