NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a Head Gasket DIY ?
Im thinking my Daughters Beetle is going to be needing one soon,
I changed the oil today 142,000 miles, noticed yellowish foam on the oil cap...Im guessing the head gasket is leaking ??
Any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
You found what I was going to post. Do you have any symtoms of a bad head gasket?
If not try the new oil seal on the cap and check the pvc tubing to make sure its clean. Beats the work in changing a head gasket.

·
Registered
93 Posts
New head gasket or not

Questions that come to mind!

-Is the engine losing coolant?
-Is there an antifreeze sort of smell coming out the exhaust?
-Is the coolant burping out the round tank?
-Is there a mis-fire when you start-up in the morning?
-Is the oil level higher on the dipstick than normal?
-Does the oil look milky/cloudy?

This is my guess, the yellow stuff you are seeing is condesation from the blow-by gases in the engine crankcase. (Natural mositure from cold engine combustion.) All internal combustion engines have blow-by. Blow-by contains the same stuff that comes out the tail pipe!........the blow-by is what makes the oil dirty, thus the need to change oil! A gas-field (natual gas) operated engines that run on "natural gas" will have exceptionally clean oil after hundreds of hours of continious operation.....natural gas is so much cleaner that gasoline!

I'd clean the yellow stuff off and just observe for now.

I use to drive the VW Air-cool Beetles and they would show the same yellow stuff under the oil cap and more so during the winter months........they didn't have liquid coolant!

I really think you have nothing to worry about, based on what you have told us and my rationale above!

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
Does anyone have a Head Gasket DIY ?
Im thinking my Daughters Beetle is going to be needing one soon,
I changed the oil today 142,000 miles, noticed yellowish foam on the oil cap...Im guessing the head gasket is leaking ??
Any ideas ?
These engines run cool rocker covers, in cool weather you get condensation causing the yellow foam in the oil filler. Nothing to worry about and not enough to make you change the head gasket unless you have other symptoms.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds like good news
The car is not losing antifreeze, and everything looks good
No bad hoses, vac lines etc. , car runs great

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Ahhh... now you can sleep easy. At least for now!

M.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Clean the cap up and make sure that the car gets some longer drives where it can warm up really well every once in a while. Short drives will make this happen more often. I had this in my 2.0. Cleaned it up and was more aware of driving it to warm it up and it never came back.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
That sounds like good news
The car is not losing antifreeze, and everything looks good
No bad hoses, vac lines etc. , car runs great
What kind of oil are you running in the engine? Might not be a bad idea to change it to a VW 502/505 spec oil like Mobil One 0W40 or Castrol 5W40. I heard Castrol 0W30 also has the 502/505 specs. Don't run cheap oil in your VW engine. They are prone to sludge especially the 1.8 engine.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts