NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Are Friends Electric?
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did anyone 6 feet and over do to account for the uncomforatable head restaint. I recently sat in a beautiful Beetle and after adjusting the seat for my comfort (bad back, I need to sit up straight) my chin was pushed down in my chest and there's no way I can see or turn my head with my chin down and into my chest.

I really don't want to give my up Benny, but he's getting on now and parts are no longer in stock so repairs usually take a couple days now (at least what's been repaired lately).

So I'm just wondering, those of you that are tall, what did you do? (No, raising the head restraint didn't work for me, it pushes even further on my head, forward/down). Thanks for the HELPFUL suggestions.

·
Registered
950 Posts
My solution to the 2012+ was that it wasn't nice enough to be an adult's car. The entire thing screams twentysomething. It's not quiet, it's not comfortable, it's not particularly well styled, and definitely not well built. It's also wildly overpriced for what you actually get (a candy shelled Jetta) and not even fast or agile even with the 2.0 Turbo.

So my solution to when I can no longer keep the 98 running is to buy either a Passat TDI, BMW 328xd, Merc E320 diesel, or possible the Mazda 6 diesel when it comes out.

·
Are Friends Electric?
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, janitz. I have been looking else where and I did find one new car that did NOT put me into an unnatural sitting position, but being so familiar with VW I was hoping there was some type of "work around". Thanks again.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The Passat would be a better choice I think then if you want to keep with VW.

Although it can be said that while getting harder to find parts on hand the price of keeping your old bug running just a bit more is likely going to be much less than payments on a new car combined with the depreciation of the vehicle. This is what I'm doing with mine, I'm going to keep the 98 alive, trying to reach 2018 before I buy another car. I figure with no car payments, saving money away, I can have a significant down payment on the next car and overall save money on the interest.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
What did anyone 6 feet and over do to account for the uncomforatable head restaint. I recently sat in a beautiful Beetle and after adjusting the seat for my comfort (bad back, I need to sit up straight) my chin was pushed down in my chest and there's no way I can see or turn my head with my chin down and into my chest.

I really don't want to give my up Benny, but he's getting on now and parts are no longer in stock so repairs usually take a couple days now (at least what's been repaired lately).

So I'm just wondering, those of you that are tall, what did you do? (No, raising the head restraint didn't work for me, it pushes even further on my head, forward/down). Thanks for the HELPFUL suggestions.
Try SWITCHING the rear headrests with the front ones. It might work. I'm not sure if they are interchangeable BUT, it's worth a try.

:)

·
Are Friends Electric?
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again janitz but the Passat head rest hits me the same as the others. I appreciate you mentioning the cost difference of repair and monthly payments (I'm watching repairs inch up every year) which got me thinking again (particulary since I spent $2500 this year). I'm stuck if I should or not because I am also eligible for early retirement in 3 years and right now plan on taking it (and the next car would be paid off by then).

Normally if I know something needs attention I'm able make an appointment and get a loaner (the wiring harness earlier this year was not sweat, I was able to get a loaner while they ordered the needed parts) but just a couple weeks ago the red Brake light caused me to drop the car off and rely on others to get me home from the shop then get me to work and back home AND to a few meetings the next day until the back ordered caliper arrived. (So of course all that hassle is how I got back to "time to start looking").

Round car, do you know if there a trick to removing the head rests now? I tried lifting one up the other day at the dealership, like my current ones (which are flipped), but they seem to stop at the top (I did think about flipping it backwards - but again, it seems to stop at the top... so that's how I ended up posting here). Thanks again!

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Headrest Removal

Here's the trick.... You will need needle nose pliers.
To remove the DRIVERSIDE seat headrest-

1. PULL HEADREST UP as far as it will go.

2. Put the seat in its FULL RECLINE position and also DROP seat as LOW as it will go.You will need the ceiling clearance to pull the headrest completely out (stems are pretty long.)

3. Pinch & PULL to Remove the plastic horseshoe clip at base of the headrest stem closest to the driverside door.

4. See the two silver FLAT METAL TABS facing you where you removed the horseshoe clip? Open your needle nose pliers to match the tab width and GENTLY PUSH the tabs straight back with one hand while simulatainiously pulling UP on the headrest to remove it COMPLETLY.

***To reinstall just put the headrest stems back in then, REINSTALL THE HORSESHOE CLIP.

Hope that helps
Sandi
;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I purchased a 2012 Turbo beetle and was very happy with it but it definitely had some killer blind spots and got pretty uncomfortable. I love my '03 Turbo S way better and enjoy the ride much more. Golf R is super nice and way overpriced though.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
;)
Sandi! Awesome! Thank you so much - I knew there had to be some secret. Cliff
Your welcome ;)
Oh and by the way....I grew up in Chicago!! SouthShore area, just up the block from Eugene Record (of the Chi-lights and two blocks away from Al Greens apartment on 79th st.). I played 4th chair trumpet with Jimmy Ellis's SWING BAND downtown as a 16yr old. 1st chair seated a 60ish yr old. GOOD TIMES!!

Chicago is GREAT!

Good luck with your headrest. Huuummmm....you MAY just have to go without it. Like they did back in the 50-60s Beetle seats.
Just pray you don't get rear ended!

;)

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
There is no tilt feature on the front headrests on North American or European models. One of the design "deletions" on this generation. The rear headrests however are very different in Europe. They are actually designed to not block your view. They only come up during an impact but stay low during regular driving. Why we in North America get the brick looking ones I have no idea? Anyone know where to buy the European rear headrests? I've been searching in vain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts