NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Wheeeeeeeee!
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new addition is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. In a perfect world, I would pull out my stock radio and slap in the new one, however having installed 6 different ones into my old car, I know that things are never this easy - especially with the cute little(HUGE) rounded radio it comes with.

Now, this is my new head unit:

Cheapo Gewdness

I had one of these for a radio that fell through, so I gave it away:

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/99-9008.html

Assuming I should get another, as well as another one of these:

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/70-1784.html

Aaand.. an antenna adapter, correct?

Okay, what I really want, although I'm pretty sure I can handle this on my own, is a little walkthrough. Just to make sure I don't muck anything up.

Especially in removing the factory radio. (which will of course, be up for grabs once my new stuff is installed).

Any suggestions for tools or materials needed aside from the obvious things I have posted are welcome too :)

Er, and disconnecting the battery.... never messed around under the hood before. My old car was a Beretta so that is the extent of my underhood experience, and a VW is quite different. So a little help here too would make me one happy girl ;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Radio Help

Looks like you have everything you need. I would recommend soldering the metra wiring harness leads to the new unit for the best connections. The battery should be a cinch just remove the negative (-) terminal (you'll have to reset the clock). Getting the new harness/wiring all situated in the dash so that the radio slides in can be a hassle. However, if you remove the portion of the under-dash (just above the center console) you can reach up and be able to guide the harness into a snug location. You have to jiggle a bit, but it's much easier than trying to get your hand behind the HU while trying to force it into the dash. Look forward to good sounds.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
about the antenna adapter, your gonna need one, and i reccoemnd getting a powered one (there will be a pwere lead coming out of it that you hook up the the aftermerket radio's power antenna wire), or else you'll have almost no reception at all. Althoough i cant comment on dual's tuner either, but it's probably not as good as most anyway - but when you get a in-dash cd player, who needs the radio?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts