VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

The passenger side headlight on my 07 Beetle went out a week ago. Instead of going to the dealership to have them replaced, I had a friend, who is a mechanic do it for me. Probably wasn't a great idea...Anyway, he had no idea what he was doing and kept turning the bolt lock until there was a pop. He was able to get the assembly out and change the light, put everything back in it's place and the headlight worked. Then I drive down the road and realize it's out again. I get out and push on the headlight and it turns back on. So, the problem is that the headlight will not stay in place because the lock is broken, obviously. So, my question is, will I have to replace the whole assembly or can just the lock be replaced?

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Hello All,

The passenger side headlight on my 07 Beetle went out a week ago. Instead of going to the dealership to have them replaced, I had a friend, who is a mechanic do it for me. Probably wasn't a great idea...Anyway, he had no idea what he was doing and kept turning the bolt lock until there was a pop. He was able to get the assembly out and change the light, put everything back in it's place and the headlight worked. Then I drive down the road and realize it's out again. I get out and push on the headlight and it turns back on. So, the problem is that the headlight will not stay in place because the lock is broken, obviously. So, my question is, will I have to replace the whole assembly or can just the lock be replaced?
The lock can be replaced. If you look on it somewhere, there is a part number and you can go to your Vw dealership for it and replace it. The lever based ones on the 00-2005 models are about $16, but i'm not sure about the new lock style.

You could have changed it yourself. Its rather easy and takes less than a half hour to do both sides.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try to really change up the whole Headlight Assembly that you've got there. If it has really a broken lock, you might consider to really change it for safety of your car and for your driving needs. I hope you might find that good part by now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The headlamp mounting assembly needs to be replaced. When the latch lever is twisted with excessive force it breaks the plastic holder and cannot be repaired. The part number is 1C0-941-054 for the passenger side, cost is $37.08 at 1stvwparts.com, list price is $51.50. It's not difficult to replace, just make sure to install it in the exact same position as the original.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts