NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my problem is this:
In trying to change a burnt out headlight bulb, the lever to pull the headlight out of the car snapped off. So now I have a headlight bulb out and no way to pull the headlight out. Well, I bought new levers to replace the broken one and one for the other headlight, just in case.
However, I have no clue on how to get the dang thing out so I can put the new ones in. Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone have any clue how to geat the headlight out without the assistance of the lever? And please do not say go to a mechanic. If I wanted to do that I wouldn't be posting this, now would I? Also, in case removing the headlight wouldn't be hard enough, this all happened on the driver's side of the car, so I have even less space to work with. Yay me :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You should get some quick help, lots of knowledgeable people on here in this regard,, some I'm sure who have dealt with it or can at least give learned advice.
Not likely anyone on here will tell you to see a mechanic.

One more trip to the parts store though, you always replace Halogens in pairs, both low beams or both high beams, same bulbs (H1s), just do the same one on both sides. Halogens deteriorate with age (not time but use) and thus dim with age.

If you don't have a good response by mid morning, bump it back up the board, as this thread will bury itself down the board very quickly in the morning, or for sure do it late tomorrow afternoon. Most posters come on when they get in from work, before or around dinner time, and then again early evening.

This won't be a tough one, just hang tight!

MORAV

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
I didn't do it...my mechanic did mine. But he used a screwdriver to help do the duty of the lever. Got the bucket out within a few minutes. My passenger side still has the lever, but I'll let him handle that too...12 year old plastics I don't trust myself not to break :p

I only replaced the bulb that was burned out. My passenger side was replaced shortly after purchase almost 6 years ago. Drivers side replaced last year at 5 years. I'm not fixing what ain't broken. Lights still working great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang I guess that means I need to replace all four. My bright is out on one and my running light is out on the other! Haha well good to know :) Ya I'm gonna have my uncle try to get it out, but I was hoping for help on here so I can give him an idea on how he should go about it...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Aw, at least give it a day or two to run on the boards here, I'm sure someone will be along!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Just keep it bumped up on the boards. Lot of ppl posting today. I guess there must be some bad weather somewhere. Either that or a lot of ppl are doin a lot of surfin' on someone else's nickel! (lol)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
Did you see my suggestion of using a screwdriver? My mechanic just used it in place of the latch. Took some effort, but he got the light out.

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
...or a lot of ppl are doin a lot of surfin' on someone else's nickel! (lol)
I'm a Federal employee...So I'm always surfin' on someone else's nickle ;)

Cold wx + brittle plastic = Broken parts...

Just use a flat head screw driver and you should be fine.

Good Luck

Also, not being a smart azz, but if you do a search, there are a lot of "DIY" regarding headlight replacement...I'm sure if you study some of the pics, you'll be able to figure out the mechanics of the button and exactly where you need to place your screw driver.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
Seems that way...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya I searched around before and found a one but it didn't give a lot of info on how he got it out. But I did find the part number of the part I need. I was just seeing how other people did it. And yes I saw the screwdriver idea :) I'll tell my uncle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Screwdriver worked! With a bit of patience glad I ordered a new part for each side, the other one broke when we went to replace that bulb. Now I have 2 fully functional headlights! I feel all fancy now ;) Thank you guys for your help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts