NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help figuring out my headlight. I replaced the entire driver's side headlight assembly today because the old one was broken in a few places and didnt fit well. Anyway, I used the same bulbs and when I plugged it in and tested it, nothing lit up. I pulled the wires out of the old assembly and put them into the new assembly hoping it would work, but it still doesnt. That seems to rule out the wires in the light. Anybody with an idea of what may be the problem?? :confused:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I'm not sure I follow. What wires did you move? I'm assuming you're talking about more than just the connector.

Any chance you can get a picture posted?

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
huskyfan_7 said:
I need help figuring out my headlight. I replaced the entire driver's side headlight assembly today because the old one was broken in a few places and didnt fit well. Anyway, I used the same bulbs and when I plugged it in and tested it, nothing lit up. I pulled the wires out of the old assembly and put them into the new assembly hoping it would work, but it still doesnt. That seems to rule out the wires in the light. Anybody with an idea of what may be the problem?? :confused:
I need more info.. Did you replace the whole bucket assembly?? Did the new bucket assembly come with the wiring harness with plug that attaches to the outter supply plug???This plug is clipped into the headlight housing with the correct wires attached to the bulb sockets...Is that how it came??? If so, I can only suspect a wiring fault some where or a plug that is not making good contact. Is it possible to reverse this plug that clips into the headlight assembly???? JK

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, I replaced the entire bucket assembly and it didn't light up. Second, I thought maybe if I took the plug out of the old one it would help, it still didn't light up. Now the old bucket assembly doesnt light up again. Long story short, neither the old assembly nor the new assembly works in the car. The bulbs aren't burned out from what I can tell.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Install the bulb with dielectric grease and use the same grease on the connectors. Install and turn on lights. Bang on headlamp until it comes on. I do this every day since I got my front end fixed. When you close the hood the bulbs may shift and not light up. Sometimes mine go out while driving, I've gotten the parking brake-seatbelt off-door open-lean over and bang technique down to a 22 second tallent for stop lights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts