NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, have a 2003 TDI and having trouble removing the passenger side headlight. I have searched the previous threads and I have already replaced the driver side headlight without much trouble, but the passenger side headlight won't budge. I can get the lever to raise about 3/4 of the way, no farther. I have pushed and pulled and pried. Any ideas on how to get the plastic lever to fully raise.
Thanks, Bob

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
I say lube the heck out of it with lubricant. Lithium grease works ... kinda. Also, on Zoomers headlight one of the tracks was really bent up - bad. It is like the factory FORCED the headlight into the car ... and bent up the track in the process. *ANGRY* This might also be the case with your headlight (our cars are the same year).

My fiance changed my headlights almost a month ago. Same problem & same side. He ended up breaking a few things in the process too. Like the little plastic textured things. The ones you have to press down on to release something. GAH! Frustrating. Poor Zoomer took a beating that day!

Also, when you go to put them back in ... make sure you have enough light outside. Clean both the headlight housing and the headlight REALLY REALLY well. Lube both up ... and it will go much easier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the info,I will give that a try. I have been trying to take it easy and not get angry. Love the car but not the headlights.
Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed it

I managed to fix it. The headlight moved forward enough to get my fingertips under it and managed to pull, wiggle and finally pull it loose. Hopefully I won't have to change another bulb for a while.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Head Light Removal

Be very careful and do not be tempted to 'pull' out the headlight by the lens as the lens my come off completely. You may just break the seal allowing water in then the lens will fog. I found the best way is with a piece of wood, using padding so not to damage the windscreen washer bottle and gently push the headlight out from the rear.

Steve

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Be very careful and do not be tempted to 'pull' out the headlight by the lens as the lens my come off completely. You may just break the seal allowing water in then the lens will fog.Steve
This is what I expect that happened to our Beetle..When we first bought it,the driver side was all fogged up and had water in in.The lens was about 1/2 inch outward. After removing the light from the car and bringing it in my house to dry, I managed to get the seal sealed and then I took it out to the garage. After an hour,it fogged up again. Upon removal I took the back plastic piece off the back and found much more water. I left the plastic piece off and brought it in to dry. Since this,I have had absolutely no troubles with fogging. I used a bit of lithium grease on the track of the headlight to aid in future removal.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Headlight refitting

I see there are many owners having problems with headlights. Having just bought our first Beetle I set too on some of the problems, having a light out was one of them. After getting around the broken release clip and getting the light out with great difficulty I noticed that the locking rail had come out of it's guide rail. (Sorry the photo is not so good but at least you know where to look) Make sure this is seated then lube, lube, lube !! I used silicone TOP 2000 spray on mine, especially under the locking slide.

I have just removed the lights again to convert them from right to left hand drive and once the clip was opened, they virtually fell out :)

~The photo shows the slide when out of it's guide, you will see where it need to be.

P.S I am a better mechanic than I am photographer and I assure you that IS Grease :)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts