NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lock mechanism for my driver side headlight is broken. My husband had a heck of a time getting it out, this is the first time we've had to change it since I got the car in April. Around the headlight there was a small ooze of silicone which makes us think that someone used that to keep the headlight in place, knowing the mechanism was already broken.

Question, any idea how much this part goes for? Do we have to get it from a dealer? Is there a place online that we can order from? I have an 06 vert.

Thanks for your help. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, it sounds like the previous owner had broken the headlight locking mechanism and kludged it back into place with some silicone goo... :(

The headlight locking mechanism is an integral part of the headlight assembly; it's not available separately. A number of forum sponsors (such as ECS Tuning) have replacement headlight assemblies readily available; the cost will depend upon whether your 2006 New Beetle has the halogen (incandecent) headlights or the optional HID headlights. The conventional halogen headlight assemblies run around $150/each.

Good luck! :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the silicon is greasy, that is factory. If you don't know what you are doing, and do not press the release tab while turning in the release lever, things will break. My advise is whenever having these things out, to dab some additional silicon grease on the sliding parts....NOT silicon sealer.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
The lock mechanism which has the lever you move to release the headlight IS Replaceable and is availble at ESC tuning and others They are not very expensive. Clean the inside of the headlight mount and relube the slides with silicon lube and you should be good to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts