NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, the other night as I was leaving Walmart at night, I noticed my daytime running lights were no longer working when the handbrake is lowered, and when the switch was turned to the on position, both lights work but are extremely dim.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I thought they might just be going out, but the fact that they’re both dimmed to the same level, and my drl isn’t working, I assume it’s an electrical issue of some kind?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I don’t really have any clue what to do.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
There is a switch, inside the brake handle; that turns the headlights off, when the parking brake is pulled up. There can be a number of reasons for headlights not working or being wry bright. Give us the year and model beetle you are working with.
, we ca go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a switch, inside the brake handle; that turns the headlights off, when the parking brake is pulled up. There can be a number of reasons for headlights not working or being wry bright. Give us the year and model beetle you are working with.
, we ca go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s in my name actually, it’s a 5spd manual 06 2.5l new beetle :)

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
Lights not working, have typically; been simple failures, like bulbs (very common), fuses and the plug to the headlamp plug, being unable to fully connect, killing power to the headlamp or a dirty switch in the combination lever in the steering column. I would start with the basics: see, if you have power to the bulbs with a multimeter or a simple circuit tester, swap known good to the non working bulbs location and check to see if the connection, plugs are a issue. Recently, I had a issue, where the low beams worked but the high beams didn't; turns out the contacts, inside the steering column, the lever/switch assembly had gotten dirty. I sprayed the switch; moved the lever in the various positions and eventually the high beams started working again! The lever is a combination switch; so it controls, many things (turn signal, high/low beams, cruise control, etc.).

So, as you can see; it can be a wide range of issues; I started simple, tested each thing, starting with the bulbs, fuses, power, etc and worked back, until I got to the switch in the steering column. Here are some videos; going over, some failures, that are known issues, that you might check out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s in my name actually, it’s a 5spd manual 06 2.5l new beetle
Lights not working, have typically; been simple failures, like bulbs (very common), fuses and the plug to the headlamp plug, being unable to fully connect, killing power to the headlamp or a dirty switch in the combination lever in the steering column. I would start with the basics: see, if you have power to the bulbs with a multimeter or a simple circuit tester, swap known good to the non working bulbs location and check to see if the connection, plugs are a issue. Recently, I had a issue, where the low beams worked but the high beams didn't; turns out the contacts, inside the steering column, the lever/switch assembly had gotten dirty. I sprayed the switch; moved the lever in the various positions and eventually the high beams started working again! The lever is a combination switch; so it controls, many things (turn signal, high/low beams, cruise control, etc.).

So, as you can see; it can be a wide range of issues; I started simple, tested each thing, starting with the bulbs, fuses, power, etc and worked back, until I got to the switch in the steering column. Here are some videos; going over, some failures, that are known issues, that you might check out.

Thank you man, I really really appreciate it. Me and my dad got them working, and I feel stupid. It was just the bulbs being burned out,the filament was fully busted. I’m not sure how the low beams even turned on at all.
I was sure there was gonna be an electrical failure somewhere, since dropping handbrake didn’t even try to turn them on. I’m gonna save these for the future though, I’ve heard these guys are fickle things :)

·
Registered
14,052 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never overlook the basics; glad you found the problem! If the bulbs keep burning out; you might check the headlight wiring harness, for heat damage, where the insulation cracks, flakes off and can cause shorts, replacements are available.

If it goes out quickly, I’ll check it out. I have to replace the driver side at some point anyways, I had an issue with it literally falling out before, and it damaged the wiring to the high beam, so working with one high beam 😂 That’s why I was so worried about my low beams :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
I recently rebuilt the wiring in my daughters 01 Beetle headlights. Clipping the wires off leaving an inch or so to the connector, and replaced the cracked flaking somewhat bare rest of the wires with a slightly heavier gauge splicing everything together with butt connectors and heat shrink.

I replaced all 4 bulbs and everything seems to be working well so far.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts