NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2004 Beetle, one of the Satellite Blue ones :)

Anyhow, now that we own the car, it wants to get cheeky. I have replaced one of the headlights and now the lens cover keeps popping off. Not the whole light assembly, just the clear cover.

Does anybody know how I can keep this from happening? I know this has happened to others. Any solutions? Anybody know of a good adhesive I can use? I really don't want to buy a whole new headlight assembly.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Liadis

·
Returning senior member
285 Posts
Lens cover falling off...

Remove the entire headlight assembly and check that all 4 tabs that hold the lens on are intact. The gasket between the lens cover and the head light unit may not be put together correctly preventing the lens from snapping back on completely. If this gasket is damaged, replace it with a VW replacement. They are the only source for this part. By checking to see if all 4 tabs are intact and functioning and by making sure that the gasket fits correctly your head light lens should stay put. Good Luck, JK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for reply. That's not really the problem, though. The light assembly is staying in, but the clear plastic cover part is falling off. From what I can tell, it is being held together with some type of adhesive only (a bad design, which has been mentioned here).

I'm probably going to try to get some silicon adhesive, such as this RTV Gasket Maker, 3.5 Oz Ultra Gray # 82194 by Permatex. I was just wondering if anybody else had a solution.

·
Full Metal
317 Posts
i have always used clear silicon for putting my headlights back together that way it won't show as much from the outside.

·
Full Metal
317 Posts
no prob, just make sure the lens is seated fully, and be sure to let it dry for a few hours at least, overnight is optimal.

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Thanks for reply. That's not really the problem, though. The light assembly is staying in, but the clear plastic cover part is falling off. From what I can tell, it is being held together with some type of adhesive only (a bad design, which has been mentioned here).
No...you are not understanding. Take the entire headlight out. There are 4 plastic tabs that hold it onto the housing. The part of the lens that goes onto the tabs are probably broken.

This is correct:
Remove the entire headlight assembly and check that all 4 tabs that hold the lens on are intact. The gasket between the lens cover and the head light unit may not be put together correctly preventing the lens from snapping back on completely. If this gasket is damaged, replace it with a VW replacement. They are the only source for this part. By checking to see if all 4 tabs are intact and functioning and by making sure that the gasket fits correctly your head light lens should stay put. Good Luck, JK

·
Returning senior member
285 Posts
Thanks DZLBUG...

Thanks for clarifying my suggestion and answer to this headlight lens/cover repeatedly coming off. If more than one
tab is broken off then it might be the time when some sort of adhesive/sealant could be used. I'll try to be more clear in my future answers to any problems I have had experience with.
Good Luck with the final results. JK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts