NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tell your mom I said hi
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have become a member of headlight of the month club. Took '03 to Ancira VW 2 months ago for a broken door limiter strap. The service writer did a walk around and saw that the seals around the headlights were deteriorating. So he offered to replace them at VW expense. A week later I had my first bulb failure. Now tonight the other one failed. I like Ancira always been happy with sales and service, but could they have done something to make the bulbs fail or did my luck just finally run out. I seem to be luckier than must I can change the bulb in less than 5 minutes, but they still cost money I don't want to make a habit of this.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
If you look around while driving, it seems like a lot of bugs only have one eye open.
I carry a couple of new ones in the glove box as replacements. They seem to fail at unexpected times.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
They could have touched the halogen bulb, the oil will cause it to blow fast. That should have have been the case if they replaced the lenses tho. Odd.

I had my first bulb failure in Charlie a few weeks back.. I thought it was a connection cause at first if I whacked the light it came on. Then it died, died and I replaced it. It's not hard, just convoluted. Some seem to burn them faster than others.

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Padiddle-bug :) (Let's see if anyone gets THAT reference!)

My driver side went out after about 3 years, still wating on the passenger side.

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
boblamb58 said:
Padiddle-bug :) (Let's see if anyone gets THAT reference!)

Man, I haven't played that in a VERY VERY long time!

The way we would play is when someone spotted a vehicle with only one headlight on, they would hit the roof of the car while yelling "Padiddle!" There were a few times that my hand got bruised trying to beat whoever else was in the car. :D

And believe it or not, I was telling my wife about this last week! :)

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
This should open up the market for replacement headlamps using high-intensity discharge (HID) or energy-efficient LED headlights.
---------
click here

Basically the NHTSA changed it's interpretation of a rule. This is what causes alot of HID kits to NOT be legal.

This is also one of the few things standing in the way of LED Headlights. :)

VERY Good news!

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
An expected time would be every other June 1st. In a down pour in the winter is unexpected. Or, at least unpleasant.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I too had a headlight go out intermittently. Usually it would occur upon first starting the car. If I tapped on the headlight from outside, it would usually come on instantly. I had the dealer look at this problem, and they said they replaced the bulb. When I picked it up, the problem happened again, and I blew a gasket at the service advisors. I told them if it happened again, I want an entirely new headset assembly. It turned out to be a melted wire that was causing the headlight to go out. They replaced the wires and it hasn't happened since.

·
Super Moderator
14,770 Posts
I discovered a "dim" headlight a few months ago. The driving light still worked, and I made it home after work, at 10pm.

I took the NBC to work the next day, and Bill fixed the TS light.

It took over three years for the first one to go out. I considered this to be long after it should have, considering I work swing, and drive every single night.

Now, hoping for other headlight to go, so I can "convert" to work again! :D

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
dnyed said:
I discovered a "dim" headlight a few months ago. The driving light still worked, and I made it home after work, at 10pm.

I took the NBC to work the next day, and Bill fixed the TS light.

It took over three years for the first one to go out. I considered this to be long after it should have, considering I work swing, and drive every single night.

Now, hoping for other headlight to go, so I can "convert" to work again! :D
You swing every night. uh huhuhhuuhuhuh uhuhuhuhuhu uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhh

·
Super Moderator
14,770 Posts
FineExampl said:
You swing every night. uh huhuhhuuhuhuh uhuhuhuhuhu uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhh
I work it, baby!:D Yeeaa! :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
headlight out

perhaps any of you have some ideas....driving home Wed night both headlights went out. Dealership could not find anything when I took it in on Thursday. Lights were working fine. Any thought???

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
Damn! I thought we were the only ones with bad luck. It seems like every 4-6 months we burn out a headlight in our Beetle. I figured it was the crap stock lights, so I changed to Optilux, and they blew out within a week, so we tried StreetGlow headlight bulbs. They seemed to last the longest, but just a week or so ago one of them blew out. Is Volkswagen up to something here LOL??!!

By the way, I swear by the Padiddle game. It makes my drives with my Fiance' more interesting and fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts