NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an auto detailer by trade and have been trying to come to grips with the ongoing need for headlight restoration. Firstly, there are two types of headlight damage; 1) oxidation and 2) actual surface damage, i.e. rock chips, scratches, etc. With the second type, sanding, polishing and sealing is in order. For the first type, oxidation remover is all that is required. The only product that I am able to find on line or ANYWHERE for that matter is Pittman's Original ALR. They seem to have a monopoly on the market with their product and at $99 for a can or tube, it's WAY too pricy. Have any of you weekend detailers out there heard of an alternative for this very expensive oxidation remover? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Okay, I am going to play dumb here. What about meguires or turtle wax or any of the other 50 you see at andvance auto or autozone?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay guys,;

1) Toothpaste on a rotary drill address damage #2
2) Meguiars ultimate compound - #2
3) 50 items at Autozone - same thing. These products are great for damage that goes beyond simple oxidation. As I stated in my post, the Pittman product is the only one that states that it is an oxidation remover, and not made for chips, scratches or the like. With the Pittman ALR you simply use the product on a rag and it removes the yellow oxidation. No abrasive, no need for a rotary drill. I was hoping that someone out there had found and used a product that just does that BESIDES the $100 Pittman ALR. I already KNOW how to restore headlights using a buffer and compound. Anyone else? ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts