VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. My new(ish) Beetle had some condensation inside both headlamps, and were generally in worn condition. I was able to get a couple replacement assemblies online at a decent price. I put bulbs in them and was ready to install. However, my efforts to remove the old ones failed. I've read the threads/posts, and have watched a YouTube demo of the same. Unfortunately, neither of my release mechanisms have the crosschecked 'button'. The lever is there and moves up and down fairly freely, which does move the healight outward. Not enough to remove it though. I didn't force anything, as I really don't wanna break any of the plastic pieces.

As the lever does operate AND moves the lamp, should I just force it a bit from behind to get it out. And, what's the deal with my crosschecked release buttons missing???

Photos attached.

Attachments

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
Your crosshatch locks have been broken off. The plastic becomes very brittle and they break easily if you depress them too far. Obviously, that's what happened.
In the pics, the levers are both in the down or "lock" position.
Push them up until the light assembly is kicked out a bit from the fender.
Now, the tricky part is to get the assembly out. Usually if you grab the assembly with your fingers behind the rubber seal and slightly twist back and forth as you pull it should come out. Don't be afraid to pull on it with a bit of force. the pins that line up with the metal rails often time get gunked up and are slightly off center so keep trying and they should eventually pop out for ya.

Everyone will agree that the headlight assembly design is the most godawful abomination of engineering that could possible be!!
The engineer was either drunk or high when that design was done.
:)

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
In addition to the above sage advice, contact your local dealer and order both headlight retention assemblies. About $15ea. They're held in place, inside the headlight bucket, by 3 screws.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had same problem with my headlights sprayed the rails with WD40 made it easier to pull them out. You'll need one with a straw on it to get to all the places.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gang! I was able to get them out with a little force and have put the new ones in. Much improved. They look great and are much stronger.

I am concerned with the condensation issue though. The new ones have begun to fog up a bit at the bottom already. Keep in mind, I've not driven the car since they were installed. I also replaced the side marker/blinker assemblies as they were pretty beat up. Both had condensation and significant water in them. One of them was half full of water!! What the heck?!? Four lights removed/replaced; all had moisture in them. AND, now the new ones are starting to fog. I could understand if one of the original lamps had a leak, allowing water to enter the housing, but all four?!?!

Help??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts