NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure where to put this listing, but...

I have a spider farm in my drivers side headlight. How can i fix this? It's all webby inside. I want to clean it out.

As cool as it sounds ("dude you got webbing in your headlights!") it's quite annoying.

Help?

John

·
Super Moderator
8,913 Posts
http://newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171

Check out Tom's How-To on how to change bulbs.
This will get the headlight out then you will see that there are 4 snap-fit tabs that need to be pryed and moved to separate the two halves of the headlight.

I've done this several times when I painted my inner headlamp surround.

There is also a pressure tab on the back of the light as well that has to be moved to the side (don't have to take the screw out, it can stay and move the tab to the side when sliding out.

I'll look on the old forums to see if I have any photos I can share, I know it has been discussed before.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wawalker said:
Interesting. I thought the housings were air tight and this would be impossible...

Have fun w/ the messy job!:D
lol yeah, it'll have to be a weekend project for me. Maybe i'll do it when i paint my interior parts and make a day of it.

John

·
Super Moderator
8,913 Posts
Tara'sSunflower05 said:
how did you get the color into the headlight?? is that just a stock headlight ??
Stock headlight - follow that link I posted and there is a picture of me masking it off so I could paint the surround that isn't really reflecting any light. Never did a How-To on it, but there really isn't much to it besides taking it apart and masking then two coats of primer, 2 or 3 coats of color and 1 oe 2 coats of clear.

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
lovely green eyes

marvins_dad said:
Stock headlight - follow that link I posted and there is a picture of me masking it off so I could paint the surround that isn't really reflecting any light. Never did a How-To on it, but there really isn't much to it besides taking it apart and masking then two coats of primer, 2 or 3 coats of color and 1 oe 2 coats of clear.
For those of you that haven't seen them up close, Marvin's Dad is so meticulous that those painted headlights of Marvin's are better than factory. Beautiful work, 'Twan!

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
I had almost the same problem right after I got Skittle. I think it was just one spider though but he was making quite a web in there. I never did anything about it. He seemed to disappear after a nice long drive to PA. Maybe it got too hot in there for him :lol:
The headlights, as far as what my dealer told me, are not air tight. Only where the bulbs are. The housing is vented.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
when i changed my headlight, i too had a ton of webbing / other crap in there. i just wiped most of it out, but didn't worry too much about it because hey, it's not like you can see in there.

i also have spider who lives in my passenger's side mirror and comes out every night to spin a web that goes from the mirror to my door. i've never been able to kill the little bugger 'cause he always goes back into hiding in the daytime! :mad:

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
callisto9 said:
i also have spider who lives in my passenger's side mirror and comes out every night to spin a web that goes from the mirror to my door. i've never been able to kill the little bugger 'cause he always goes back into hiding in the daytime! :mad:
Try using that canned air for your computer and put the straw inside the housing. That should scare him out! LOL
Off Topic for a sec but still kinda on topic: Speaking of spiders..when I was little my parents had a summer home on New Hampshire. A cute little A frame house..There was a spider that lived in the faucet in the kitchen somehow..he would always come out whenever you turned the water on and as soon as you were done he's go back in. "The itsy bitsy spider....." :lol:

·
NKAWTG-N
62 Posts
City Lights from Turbo S

I could not find it in the archives or anywhere. Can you convert the standard beetle light to one like on the Turbo S ie with city light.

I read once that earlier 98-99 lights had a space in the housing where the city lights would go. My 01 does not have that space.

Would it be possible to buy the old housing and install or just replace with Turbo S lights

Stinkbug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts