VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlights have been acting up lately.
When switching on the headlights:
1. Both parklights come on OK
2. When I turn the knob to switch the low beams, the left parklight turns off, and the lowbeam doesn’t light up.
3. from (2.) When I switch back to the parklight option both parklights come on..
4. Hi beams are working OK
Has anybody encountered this before? seems strange that switching lowbeams will turn off the parklight which should stay on. And what was the fix for this? I got the 7 terminal headlight with the beam-leveling system.

What could be wrong with my left headlight? Thanks for any advice, thing drives me crazy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to mention no issue with the lowbeam bulb.. not busted. im stumped. need help. and no, I don't want to buy another left headlight assembly just don't have the $$$$$ :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
As mentioned, inspect bulbs and wiring. The wiring overheats and the insulation cracks in these headlights. The wiring can short out and also melt or overheat at the connector terminals.

Also verify the grounding is good, back grounds cause strange feedback problems with lights where they can either light or go out depending on the grounding problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As mentioned, inspect bulbs and wiring. The wiring overheats and the insulation cracks in these headlights. The wiring can short out and also melt or overheat at the connector terminals.

Also verify the grounding is good, back grounds cause strange feedback problems with lights where they can either light or go out depending on the grounding problem.
I have the same problem on my 2003 NBC 2.0 GLS. Bought 2 headlight assemblies. Drivers side headlight doesn’t turn on. Light bulb is fine. lights also dim whenever power windows button get pressed.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Have you checked the wiring?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my 2004 beetle. When I crank the car for the first time in the morning, or after several hours parked, the left light comes on, the right light, however, flickers like it is going to come on then doesn't. I turn off the car, count to 3 and then start again...most times the right light will then come on...though sometimes I have to repeat the process three times. Can anyone help with this. The mechanic I took this to last year says it not the light itself but something else...only at the time I could not afford to have it fixed. But now I need it fixed (by someone else) and he thinks it just the light itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts