NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
LkäPORSCHE
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that when I have my fog lights on and when I turn on my high beams my fog lights turn off.

Today, I changed some bulbs. My headlights are LED bulbs and my fog lights and high beams are regular H1 bulbs.
I somehow managed to blow a fuse for the drivers side headlight. I didn't have any extra spares and the auto parts stores are closed tonight.
Anyways, I'm using one of the 15amp fuse from the high beam for the drivers side headlight.
I'll pick up a fuse tomorrow.
After all was done, I realized that the fogs now are not turning off when I engage the high beams like they use to.
I'm wondering why that is!
Is it because the there is only one high beam working right now
Could it be a relay that's messed up?

Thanks guys!

Sent using iPhone 1.8T

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
That's correct, fogs do not operate with high beams. They shouldn't even operate with low beams. All for show. Fogs are ineffective in fog if used in conjunction with headlights. Headlights "bounce" back and blind, fogs light below the fog. That's what "real" fogs are for.

If your low beams are LEDs they have to be some type of aftermarket, right? You don't mean HIDs? Got the link for LED headlights, from the factory it is only being done in a very few high end cars, but in ten years that is all there will be. Just very, very expensive right now.

Back on topic, yes, the one light out could cause the fogs to come on. Not sure how they have the fog relay wired without looking. Another poster learned the other day that both highbeams being out turns on the high beam indicator and the low beams come on in the high beam position, so that you headlights can never just go out. Suspect this is related, in one way or another. I wouldn't be concerned unless you do the replacement and still have issues.

MORAV

·
LkäPORSCHE
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's correct, fogs do not operate with high beams. They shouldn't. . . .
MORAV
Thanks MORAV,
Yes the LED bulbs are after market and not HID.
I always run with all lights on day or night. Your right though, the fogs are only for show if the weather ain't bad.
Its for better visibility too (to be seen rather than see)

Sent using iPhone 1.8T

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks MORAV,
Yes the LED bulbs are after market and not HID.
I always run with all lights on day or night. Your right though, the fogs are only for show if the weather ain't bad.
Its for better visibility too (to be seen rather than see)

Sent using iPhone 1.8T
I wish more people would adapt your philosophy and not drive around at dawn and twilight without lights on. Their thinking is "I can see just fine and don't need to turn on my lights"
They are selfish and don't even consider the other drivers on the road that may not see them. Same thing in the rain. A lot of people don't bother to turn on their headlights when it rains even thou it's the law. I guess they think they are saving gas by not using their lights. In reality they are endangering themselves and others on the road.
BTW, I don't think Fog lights are just for show. I think they do serve a purpose and fill in the area immediately in front of you. They help me a lot especially in dark areas without a lot of lights.

On another note. LED headlights? Are they actual bulbs that take the place of the H1 Bulb or is it a totally different set up? Sounds interesting. LED's should also last a lot longer than regular bulbs.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Supposedly today's LED 'replacement' bulbs do not generate enough light to be DOT approved.

Of course certain new cars with custom housings designed specifically for dozens of LED lights are beginning to hit the showrooms.

I don't see that bulb producing enough light to be legal in my opinion. Big difference between that h1 led bulb and a custom housing and bulbs designed from the ground up on a 2013 exotic car.

As far as bulbs being out affecting other light's operations - its true. Replace the bulbs and everything to should revert back to normal.

·
LkäPORSCHE
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nice! Are they as bright as regular bulbs? I may just have to order me a pair and find out. Where did you get these?
I got them from ebay
Honestly, their really bad. In fact, I'll be putting the H1's back in.
During the day you can't tell their even on and their too dim for night. They actually look like mood lights.

. . . . .As far as bulbs being out affecting other light's operations - its true. Replace the bulbs and everything to should revert back to normal.
Yup, all lights operating normally again.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I got them from ebay
Honestly, their really bad. In fact, I'll be putting the H1's back in.
During the day you can't tell their even on and their too dim for night. They actually look like mood lights.

Yup, all lights operating normally again.
Good to know. I guess I will be sticking with regular H1's for now or perhaps try a 35W HID kit. A lot of people that have them seem to like them. Just don't think they will work with the DRLs. Hmm, decisions decisions. :cool:

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Good to know. I guess I will be sticking with regular H1's for now or perhaps try a 35W HID kit. A lot of people that have them seem to like them. Just don't think they will work with the DRLs. Hmm, decisions decisions. :cool:
Get euro switch and if you feel safer with DRL then switch your fog lights on during the day.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
There are other ways to do this
  1. Defeat the lead - remove the lead from the vehicle side of the plug, clip the lead, or add a switch into the lead so that you can optionally switch the DRLs
  2. Modify the DRL change-over relay, can't delete it, but there is a How-to on modifying it.
I'm going to look at the Bentley and see if I can figure out what's up with the "B" or "TFL" thing. I've been going to do that, but hadn't got around to it.

M.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
There are other ways to do this
  1. Defeat the lead - remove the lead from the vehicle side of the plug, clip the lead, or add a switch into the lead so that you can optionally switch the DRLs
  2. Modify the DRL change-over relay, can't delete it, but there is a How-to on modifying it.
I'm going to look at the Bentley and see if I can figure out what's up with the "B" or "TFL" thing. I've been going to do that, but hadn't got around to it.

M.
I wouldn't worry about it. If I get the urge I may go outside and pull that Euroswitch again and see if I can carefully bend the TFL tab since I know the B Tab doesn't seem to do the trick. Perhaps in some cars it is the B tab and in others the TFL tab? Not sure why.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. If I get the urge I may go outside and pull that Euroswitch again and see if I can carefully bend the TFL tab since I know the B Tab doesn't seem to do the trick. Perhaps in some cars it is the B tab and in others the TFL tab? Not sure why.
No, that's okay, now it's a have to know mission! (lol).

·
Registered
950 Posts
Why disable the DRLs?

I drive a highway that has a 15km straight run, and cars with lights on during the day can be seen almost all the way down the road, while cars coming on without lights during the day can get within 2km before I see them.

That barely gives me time to stop watching TV, while texting on my phone, and get on my side of the road! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
First off, I concur, no argument, and no desire, let alone need, to disable mine.

You've been a member here since '06, if you are here often certainly you've seen the raging battle on this subject in past threads. Everything from better gas mileage (don't laugh, there are subscribers to that belief), to longer bulb life, to stupid, etc, etc. Mostly from the modders looking for a unique look who either refuse to acknowledge the safety advantages OR care. Pretty much no different than replacing their corners with clears, the safety, and legality or non-legality of which, is always an ignored issue.

M.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Why disable the DRLs?

I drive a highway that has a 15km straight run, and cars with lights on during the day can be seen almost all the way down the road, while cars coming on without lights during the day can get within 2km before I see them.

That barely gives me time to stop watching TV, while texting on my phone, and get on my side of the road! ;)
I totally agree about the use of DRL's and your safety concerns. Heck, I get pissed off when I see people at night driving with no lights or just their parking lights on and they think it's cool. I flash my lights at them real quick :D.
The only reason I am persuing this is because I want to give HID a try and since our DRLs are running off the low beam the HID system will not work with DRL's So I need to find a way to disable them. It might just be temporary and in case I don't like the HID kit then I will simply switch back to regular Halogen lights. Even with the HIDs and DRLs disabled I will probably run with the parking lights and or Fog lights on in the daylight. Not only will I be Super Cool but also do my part to be seen and Safe. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts