VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 Beetle 1.8T. The headlights (lowbeams only) went out a few days ago. I thought it would be little freakish for both lamps to burn on the same day, but bought new bulbs and replaced them in hopes of a cheap fix. No such luck... What else could the problem be? I have pulled out the headlamp switch, no loose wires or burnt connections. No fuses blown, everything else ( horn, blinkers, high beams, fog lights, wipers etc. ) I'm at a loss, any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Greg

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Battery cables corroded? Any ground wires loose?

I'm presuming all of the other functions you mentioned still work. If so, good.

Any corroded/brittle wires inside the headlamp assemblies? The ones in my '03 have seen better days.

Also check battery-top fuses as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the ideas

I'll check the battery cables and have a closer look at the headlight cables. I never even thought to check the under hood fuses, so thanks a million! Have a great day

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK since there is something about headlights (low beams) here I'll just continue here. First of all this is my first post.

Now to business. I have a '99 2.0 NB and the headlights went down on me. And as GL8289 the weird thig was both low beams. So I thought I would just change them, and it did. Yet, a month later same thing happens. Both low beams went dead again. Now I dont want to be changing bulbs every month. What could be the problem?

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Did they both actually go out at the same time, or just one at time before you noticed? Off the top of my head I would check...

1) Fuses (replace if needed)
2) Bulbs (replace if needed)
3) Trace/Check the wires, the entire length as far as you can
4) The E-Brake switch, when it is released the lights are supposed to come on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did they both actually go out at the same time, or just one at time before you noticed? Off the top of my head I would check...

1) Fuses (replace if needed)
2) Bulbs (replace if needed)
3) Trace/Check the wires, the entire length as far as you can
4) The E-Brake switch, when it is released the lights are supposed to come on.
Yes both both went out at the same time.

1) I'll check fuses although I don't think is that my brother in law check it already and said it was good

2)Well could it be that. I just replaced them last month. It just popped in to my head that I handled the bulbs with bare hands and I read somewhere that body oil can burn them faster right?

3)OK that one is going to be a hard one but I'll try

4) Yes the brake switch is off and handle fully down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts